Filament calculations

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
rixter

Filament calculations

Post by rixter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:09 am

Hello,

Does anybody know how to calculate the amount of filament that will be used in Simplify 3D Creator?
What I need to figure out is what will the Cubic Centimeters or Millimeters or Inches be
from the amount shown for Estimated Filament: 54000 mm for example.

Thanks, Rick

jsc

Re: Filament calculations

Post by jsc » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:48 am

You mean the volume of filament used? That is not a commonly requested metric, but is easily calculated by calculating the volume of a cylinder with diameter 1.75mm and height of the length of filament used (pi (d/2)^2 h).

What are you trying to do? If you want the weight of filament used, you can approximate it by assuming 330m/kg, or you can multiply the volume of filament used by the density of ABS or PLA.

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:51 pm

I've seen other people in 3d printing networks/services post their pricing for hire as so much per cubic centimeter which I believe is what shapeways and ponoko do.
So I was trying to figure out how to figure that out for my own pricing if I print for hire.

I'm finding that there are several different ways I can get the cubic CM through software or by uploading to shapeways.

Thanks for your answer!

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:45 pm

in s3d under mesh click calculate volume

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:46 am

Thanks Jim, I found that today. Exactly what I needed.