S3D process sequence wrong

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Steve T

S3D process sequence wrong

Post by Steve T » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:03 pm

I've noticed that S3D doesn't follow the process sequence I've set up. This is really difficult if I'm trying to put a skirt around my first model/first process in a set since S3D doesn't begin with process #1. Is there a way to to get the program to follow a sequence I set up or does it just assign numbers to the sequences without considering their order?

jimc

Re: S3D process sequence wrong

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:11 pm

each process doesnt just run in an order. it is assigned to a certain model and if you have multiple precesses per model then each is assigned to specific layers. at the bottom of the process page is the select models button. you need to choose the model there

Steve T

Post by Steve T » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:41 pm

Thanks Jim. I must be missing something here and someone over at support S3D is having the same problem at least their description sounds the same. Say I have 10 models numbered 1-10. Each model with its own process and numbered so. You would think the program would start with model #1 and process #1. Not so. S3D starts with model #9 and process #9. I'd like to be able to run a skirt around #1 to get a good extrusion going before starting the model. S3D does extrude a skirt around #1 as I asked it to but not in numerical order so it places the skirt around say the 6th model to be printed but it's actually model #1. And yes I am asigning a model to each process with its corresponding number. Could 10 processes/models be confusing the program. I think I'll mock up a three model build process and see if it corrects itself.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:46 pm

ok so the right process is being applied to the right model its just not printing the models in the order you have them listed? so if you have 4 models it might print model 3 first, 2 second...and so on? it should start by printing each of the skirts before it prints any models.

Steve T

Post by Steve T » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Correct. The only workaround i could come up with is to slice it all and watch what sequence S3D is choosing then apply the skirt to the first model to print.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:20 am

Yeah you cant alter the slicing logic. It picks and chooses the path it wants to. I am guessing you are not putting a skirt on all the models otherwise it wouldnt really matter. I just always leave a skirt on everything.

Steve T

Post by Steve T » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:54 am

Thanks Jim. I thought I saw your initials over at Don Foley's site. Very cool stuff. Don's definately professional. The armillary prints out nice. Don figures out how to build in supports to avoid program generated supports.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:58 am

yeah i really like all of don's stuff. everything he does is just super cool. everything he models has some sort of story or history behind it. i am all for that kind of stuff. i think i just posted in his thread he put on the s3d board. he goes on there once in awhile.

for those that dont know here is his list of projects and the stories to go along with them.

http://donfoley.com/3d-printing/project-details