What software are most people using?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
mattlyle

What software are most people using?

Post by mattlyle » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:49 am

I was just curious what tool chain most people were using? I was using slic3r + pronterface, but now I am having issues printing, and pronterface doesn't seem to be getting many updates anymore. I wasn't sure if most people had moved on to other software packages? I think MakerGear provides new kits with Simplify3D, but that's pretty expensive, so I figured I would ask here...

jsc

Re: What software are most people using?

Post by jsc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 am

I have used and would recommend:

Paid:
Simplify3D: not without its faults, but for the most part generates very good tool paths. Main benefits are that it is very fast, and the support generation is great. It is a host+slicer.

Free:
Repetier Host (host program): I think it's better than Pronterface. I've read recently that it's going closed source, although I haven't looked into that nor what it will entail.
OctoPrint (host program): what I use now. Generally set up to run on a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone Black, although there is no reason you can't run it on a regular computer. UI is presented through your web browser, so you can access it from anywhere. Best option if you want an integrated web cam, and just generally all around a very nice host. One downside is that it does not implement an Emergency Stop button.
Slic3r: very capable slicer, and the most popular free option. Every once in a while, a bug will be introduced so you have to follow the development more closely than I'd like. And the support generation is terrible.
Cura (slicer): best dual extrusion support, very fast. The UI is an acquired taste.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:41 am

I'm using:

Simplify3D ( My first slicer but so far its worked great. )

Octoprint (which I think jsc had recommended). I am going to add the relay board so I can turn printer on-off remotely in the next few weeks, and also incorporate a manual on-off switch so I don't have to run to the browser if I'm at the printer. Might also use one of the relays for turning LED lights on-off.

Cubify Design for my drawings (still learning CAD)
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

kyphur

Post by kyphur » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:30 pm

For printing:

Simplify3D

For model creation:

Zbrush
3DS Max

I'm currently looking at Inventor/AutoCAD to do gear ratio distribution and design but I'm not sure which one is the better for that purpose as I haven't really used either. I'm a professional 3D artist and have worked doing 3D for well over 10 years now. I just haven't touched AutoCAD/Inventor all that much.

mharter

Post by mharter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:33 pm

Simplify3D for printing.

Solidworks, Form Z and Rhino for modeling and texturing.

LonV

Post by LonV » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:50 pm

Slicing: Simplify3D or KISSlicer
Modeling: Autodesk Fusion 360 (it's awesome!)

lem

Post by lem » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Simplify3D - learning
Cubify Invent, Cubify Design, Rhino - learning

Invent is easy to use (about $50), Design is pretty much the same as Invent with the ability to do assemblies (about $200) and Rhino will do anything I can think of (about $140 educational license, $650-$1000 commercial license).

Invent met my needs for over a year before I moved up. Most of my designs are functional items - replacement parts, etc.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:36 pm

mattlyle wrote:what tool chain most people were using?
OpenSCAD (http://www.openscad.org/) for model generation, because everything I make looks like a bracket. Unless you do something dumb, the models emerge manifold and ready to slice.

Antimony (http://www.mattkeeter.com/projects/antimony/3/) may be a viable alternative for less complex models. Graphical "programming" gets very messy very quickly, but live adjustments in the 3D model work surprisingly well.

Slic3r (http://slic3r.org/) to produce G-Code. I build support structures directly into the model on the few occasions they're needed, so I don't know how well it does on that. The "expert" UI bristles with settings, some of which you really, really need.

Pronterface (https://github.com/kliment/Printrun) for machine control. The most recent commits were in May and it's still an active project, but I doubt it'll get many new features because it does one thing well enough: send G-Code to the printer with a useful set of manual controls.

All are Free Software projects, which is important to me.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:45 pm

ednisley wrote:Antimony (http://www.mattkeeter.com/projects/antimony/3/) may be a viable alternative for less complex models. Graphical "programming" gets very messy very quickly, but live adjustments in the 3D model work surprisingly well.
I just saw that the other day. Hackaday, right? :)

It looks very interesting.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:49 pm

Ugh, ed, get away from standalone slic3r & pronterface, and go to Repetier-Host. Same toolchain, much nicer integration.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org