S3D slicing wrong dimensions with .25 mm nozzle.

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Levi8than

S3D slicing wrong dimensions with .25 mm nozzle.

Post by Levi8than » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:40 am

I've been tinkering with the 0.25mm nozzle because I'm trying to print a part that is very small with gear teeth, and I was curious how it would turn out.
So the changes I've made to my S3D filament settings were simply update the nozzle diameter=.25, extrusion width=.25, and layer height = 0.1mm.

After slicing the part and printing it, I noticed my parts weren't fitting so I measured and every dimension was scaled down to around 75% the design size.
Now the interesting thing I've noticed is the difference between the 0.25 nozzle and the 0.35 nozzle. 0.25/0.35 = 71.25%.

I wonder if this is a bug in S3D, or if I've missed missed a configuration setting somewhere. Has anybody else run into this?

Thanks.

Levi8than

Re: S3D slicing wrong dimensions with .25 mm nozzle.

Post by Levi8than » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:24 am

I've figured it out.
When I initially load the STL file into Simplify, it comes up with the correct dimensions. But then if I scale the design, exit s3d, and reload s3d, the scalled dimensions have now become original dimensions. Meaning if I double click on the STL file's name or the model, and look it shows me 1.000 scaling, even though the absolute sizes of the object have grown to their new size due to the scaling last time. This sounds like a bug to me, and adds to the small handful I've found since I've begun using the tool.

s3d bugs I've found so far, just with the user interface
1. This saved scaling bug as described above.
2. clicking the arrows or typing in a number while in cross section view doesn't move the slider (confusing).
3. strafe (ctrl-left click), while zoomed in gives you a zoomed in top down view while trying to move around objects, often meaning that you are moving an object you cannot see because you are now zoomed in.
4. rotate (left click), always pivots on the center of the plater, which is often useless if you're zoomed in on one model, and really you just want to move around that model.
5. While in gcode preview mode, all of the mouse commands still respond include scale and move, which don't affect the gcode, but will scale and move your model behind you. Which means if you see an issue with your design in gcode viewer, then back out to make a change to the process and prepare gcode again, you will be now seeing modified gcode, even though this is unintentional.

At least support pillers scale with the design, when you scale it. That's a plus. :)

All of these can be worked around now that I know they exist. But it seems like a lot of skipped checks for a pricey piece of software.
But still completely worth it just for the better quality slicer and manually-placed, easy-to-remove supports.