Newest S3D not sequence printing?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Steve T

Newest S3D not sequence printing?

Post by Steve T » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:51 am

In sequence mode set at a 6mm height with 4 models and their respective processes, S3D wants to bury the extruder into the first model after completing it-maybe trying to reach z=0 -and then drags right through the first model ripping up everything in its path and twisting the extruder in its housing. All my settings as far as I can see, match other sequence prints I've done in earlier versions of the program successfully. I can see from the trace lines in the slice window the extruder is burying itself into the model instead of lifting to traverse over the model. Anyone else come across this accurance or can link me to some help? Thanks a bunch.
Steve

Steve T

Re: Newest S3D not sequence printing?

Post by Steve T » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Whoops, got away on me. Here's the FFF and a pic of the slice. Guess I don't know how to uplaod an FFF file as it doesn't show up.
Attachments
S3D slice.JPG
Check out how the trace line is coming from under the model after it is complete.
S3D slice.JPG (596.32 KiB) Viewed 11752 times

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:05 am

steve to post any file just zip it. the forum allows zip files. i dont really have any input on sequence printing since i have never used it. i always do layer by layer.

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:45 am

Steve, please post a "factory file" from S3D. You can get one by using the Save Factory File from the File menu. That packages up your model and FFF all into a single file so we can see exactly what you're seeing. That is, if you are comfortable sharing your model. You can zip it to get it to upload in this forum.

Also, when you are printing multiple models, you are given the option of doing it layer by layer, or sequential printing. Sequential prints one model, and then the next, etc. You are responsible to make sure you do not get head crashes in this mode, I believe. It is only very rarely useful, make sure you are printing layer by layer.

Steve T

Post by Steve T » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Jimc, can't zip a folder on my Vista nightmare. Have to find time to fix yet another windows problem i know I didn't create! Will update this thread when able.
jsc wrote:Also, when you are printing multiple models, you are given the option of doing it layer by layer, or sequential printing. Sequential prints one model, and then the next, etc. You are responsible to make sure you do not get head crashes in this mode, I believe. It is only very rarely useful, make sure you are printing layer by layer.
As mentioned I've printed in sequential mode many times and was suprised as hell when the hot end dropped into the first model and tried reaching z=0 then moving to the next model. Height input setting is high enough to clear the model height as I stated earlier but still crashes. The model height setting i believe, tells the printer to stop printing at that height then move along to the second sequence, nothing to do with clearing the model height. In sequence mode I believe the program knows to clear any model it's already built so I have no control over that perameter unless a new perameter was added that I'm missing. Waiting to hear from S3D support because I do believe I've just entered the "TWILIGHT ZONE".
Steve

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:41 pm

steve, you said you have used this feature before so you certainly know more than me about it. there is a tutorial on the s3d website covering this feature and it says you need to take some measurements of your extruder/hot end so you can properly set that clearance setting to the right height......just throwing that out there if you didnt see it.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:02 pm

I managed to skip Vista, but when you right click on a file, is there an option to compress it?

Steve, your last post indicates that you are way more fluent in using sequential mode than I am, like jimc, so now I'm inclined to think maybe it's a new S3D bug. Sorry, it's sometimes hard to gauge a poster's level of experience, and easiest to make the obvious suggestions. And apparently sometimes I don't read to good (just reread your original post).

Steve T

Post by Steve T » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Jimc, that tutorial is actually where I learned how to do sequential printing and refer to it when having any problems. Unfortunately it doesn't cover my issue. The clearance issues the tutorial goes into is the clearance around a printed part so the part doesn't collide with any part of the printer machine itself. S3D is suppose to remember where it printed a part so it will not collide with those previous prints while traversing the bed. Not so anymore. This is a huge bummer as I do a lot of sequence printing.

Jsc, no problem at all I'm just thrilled everyone is so helpful here. I don't post much so I'm probably hard to gauge, not your fault. Been printing for 10 months but the technology is hard for me to absorb at my age, it runs in the family. Yes, should be able to right click and create a zip folder but Vista denies the action. I think it's a folder permissions thingy and have to dig into. There's been a bunch of strange things going on in my laptop ever since I allowed Norton people on it four times, the last time was an eight hour stretch. I'll never know the extent of the damage they did because I'm not that savy. How I'd love to keep my drawing computer off-line!

Something else I've noticed about the newest S3D, the build time estimate is way off, like about 25%. Estimate claims a 4.5 hr build and finishes the print in 6 hrs. Is there a way to correct this? This really sucks if I'm billing a customer based on S3D estimates, I've already lost my shirt on a couple builds.

Finally able to zip this thing.
Steve
Attachments
ornament.zip
FFF file
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 364 times

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:38 am

Steve T wrote:Something else I've noticed about the newest S3D, the build time estimate is way off, like about 25%. Estimate claims a 4.5 hr build and finishes the print in 6 hrs. Is there a way to correct this? This really sucks if I'm billing a customer based on S3D estimates, I've already lost my shirt on a couple builds.
I didn't think that was new to the latest version of S3D. . . I have found it always to be far off in its estimates, always too optimistic, and I would have said more like 50% off, sometimes more. Which is ridiculous, since the printer is only exactly following the gcode that S3D is sending it, S3D ought to be accurate to well under 1%. It's not like there's any randomness involved.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:47 am

no way to currently change that and tim is right, thats nothing new. i have lowered my acceleration setting quite a bit as well so its off even more than yours. problem is s3d calculates the theoretical time. if s3d was designed for one specific printer then they could probably get it close but every printer is different and the settings in your firmware will affect the actual print time. basically s3d is just taking a guess based on the moves your printer needs to take. what i think they need to do is in the settings somewhere have a user definable offset for the time. if you know your 25% slower then we should be able to input that to get the time much closer. i have posed that on their forum before but i have not seen the feature pop up yet. please post it on their forum. i know they do read it all the time.