Simplify 3D Forum Moderation Overkill?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
pyronaught

Simplify 3D Forum Moderation Overkill?

Post by pyronaught » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:28 am

What is up with the Simplify 3D forum moderating every single post? Everything I post there never shows up because it's waiting for moderation that never seems to occur. Why would someone even bother looking at every single post that forum users make, or even have the time to do that?

I'd post this question to the Simplify 3D forum, but of course it would never appear!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

jimc

Re: Simplify 3D Forum Moderation Overkill?

Post by jimc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:17 am

It should only do that for your first few posts. Every forum i have ever been on has been like that. Sometimes it takes a few days before someone has a chance to look through all the posts to give them the ok. Unfortunately its necessary to keep all the spam from making it onto the board. Sometimes your posts can get lost in all that crap too and accidently deleted. Once you have made a few posts then you should be cleared and your posts will show right away.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Hmm, this forum didn't do that. Maybe I'll just stay here.

BTW, do you know if anyone has ever created a pictorial glossary of all the common 3d printing defects along with the settings that cure them? That would be a really useful thing to have as a reference. I've thought about taking pictures of each problem I run into and then keeping track of the solutions, then put it up on a website if nobody has done that yet. Or even intentionally screwing up some parts to show what the various settings do when the values are incorrect. Due to the slow speed of printing it can take days to trial and error your way through some of this stuff.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm not aware of any such compilations of settings and bad behavior, and if you did that, and posted it here and on Thingiverse and various other places, you could become instantly famous.

If I were you, I'd contact S3D support directly about the posting issue. If you have posted more than a couple of times and it's still getting moderated, it could be some obscure issue. All they're doing is trying to keep out spam, and if you send them an email saying "please stop moderating me; I'm only trying to post messages about S3D", I'm sure they'd be happy to put you on the whitelist.

This forum *does* moderate the first post or two of new users, but they are pretty active with it, and you might not even notice. . .

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:14 am

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:47 am

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. I've found that if you can think of something useful, someone else has already thought of it and you can usually find it on the internet somewhere.

That guide could be vastly expanded though. Something that allowed users to enter their own photos and fixes would help the list grow without any one person having to do all the research.

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:10 am

It's a wiki so in theory anyone can contribute to it.