Cubify Design

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
lem

Re: Cubify Design

Post by lem » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:54 pm

I think that Design will be a very good fit for me at this time. Price/performance is a good match and it will meet all of my current needs. Working though this issue was not that bad and I did have a chance to interact with product support and found them most willing to help.

I to am not entirely happy with the "Cubify" group as a supplier as they do tend to try and make everything proprietary. Or said another way, they don't play well with other company's products. At least if you are willing to be locked into their community then most things seem to work well. My interface to the "real" world is the .STL file which works fine for me at this point. Since I design all of my parts the import restrictions don't cause any grief.

If things change for me my upgrade path will be to buy Rhino. I've watched a ton of tutorial videos on the software and I like the way it works. I can see how it would make designs go faster. My only issue with it at this point is the price and the fact that if I get it most likely I will use a small fraction of its capability. If I were to start designing and/or printing for a small income stream that would be the trigger point for purchasing Rhino.

So with these things in mind I would recommend Cubify Design for someone starting out (if you don't need the Assembly function Cubify Invent is also a low cost option).

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:18 am

is there any way you can get the educational license for rhino? do you have a kid in school or anything like that? the requirements arent much and they arent picky. i got mine from novedge on ebay for about $130 with just a copy of my 5th grader's class schedule.

Earsmith

Post by Earsmith » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:24 pm

I have Cubify Invent. Love the ability to edit any previous function.

I also use:
Blender
Autodesk 123 Design