S3D Issues with new M2

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
pcenginefx

S3D Issues with new M2

Post by pcenginefx » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:38 am

Hi all,

Got my kit M2 up and running yesterday (YAY!) but am having 2 issues:

1. I'm printing directly from my PC>M2 via USB. When I start the print in S3D, the M2 starts printing right away without heating up either the HBP or extruder even though I specificlly call out "wait for temp to stablize" in my settings.

2. Once the M2 starts printing the first thing it does is ooze out a blob of filament beyond the right side of the HBP....any way I can prevent this from happening? - EDIT:FIXED!

Thanks all for the help!
//Aaron
//Aaron
3D Print Services | www.3dhubs.com/seattle/hubs/aaron

jsc

Re: S3D Issues with new M2

Post by jsc » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:32 am

If you post the Simplify3D profile you are using, we can take a look to see if anything looks wrong. Export your profile to an FFF file, zip it, and post that.

The firmware will not allow you to extrude until the extruder gets hot enough, so if it's pushing out plastic, at least your extruder is hot.

The blob off the right, that is intended to prime the extruder and get everything running well. It then cuts off the dangling thread by brushing it off against the edge of the bed. That is a fairly common startup sequence among M2 users. I like to take the opportunity to clean up the extruder of any debris while it's doing that with tweezers, although if you do that be very careful not to be caught off guard when it finishes and goes to wipe. Never put tweezers between the extruder and the glass or eventually you will be caught out and cause a divot in your glass.

pcenginefx

Post by pcenginefx » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:21 am

I've attached the profile to this reply.

What is happening is that the printer will execute the path of my object before the extruder and HBL is even up to temp. I also have a FF Creator but use Makerware for that and it doesn't move the extruder/HBP until the heat for everything is up to temp. I'm currently getting around this by opening up the Machine Control Panel and turning on my extruder/HBP temps manually.

I rem'd out the line for the blob and will just use the skirt to prime the extruder. I've gotten into the habit of using tweezers on my FF Creator to remove any dangling filament during heatup.
Attachments
3D.zip
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
//Aaron

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:42 pm

jsc wrote:I like to take the opportunity to clean up the extruder of any debris while it's doing that with tweezers
It would be pretty easy to make and mount a little metal plate with a hole in it off to the right side where the extruder does the purge, maybe even with a bucket under it to capture the purged filament. The hole would keep the filament from curling back up and attaching itself to the nozzle, and it would scrape itself clean before it ever gets to the glass plate.

I think the default gcode script purges way more filament than necessary.

pcenginefx

Post by pcenginefx » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Yeah I don't like how it just oozes out a blob to prime. I'd rather just prime it using more skirts...but that's just me.

Anyway, I still have this issue of the extruder & HBP not heating up automatically. I used the default M2 profile in S3D and have manually verified that everything works, but when I go send a print to the printer, it just starts to attempt to print without actually waiting to reach temp.
//Aaron

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:28 pm

slice a file and make sure the wait for temp box is checked. save the file to disk. try and print it to confirm that it does not wait. if it does not wait open the gcode file in notepad or a txt editor. scroll down past all the settings to just where the gcode starts. one of the first few lines there should be an M109 Sxxx. xxx being the temp you have it set to. this is the code that is sent t o the printer firmware telling it to wait until it reaches xxx temp. if its there then it should be waiting. if its not there then we need to figure out why s3d is not putting it in the code when its selected. in my case i always turn the wait off. i set the printer to warm up then when im ready i start it but to each his own. check that for us and let us know what you find. also to note there is a wait checkbox in s3d for the bed AND the extruder.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:06 am

I downloaded your profile and sliced a model with it. It begins:

Code: Select all

G90
M82
M106 S0
M140 S70
M190 S70
M104 S210 T0
M109 S210 T0
Those M190/M109 lines are saying "wait for the bed/extruder to hit this temp" (the M140/M104 lines are superfluous, as far as I can tell). What procedure, exactly, are you using to begin a print?

Under Tools/Configuration (in the menu bar), in the FFF tab, do you see things like "M109 S$ T#" for "Stabilize Extruder Temp"? Is your profile set to RepRap?

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:09 am

ha! there it is. i was searching all over for that fff window and couldnt find it. thought i was going nuts :lol: s3d loves to hide things in plain sight

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:16 am

pcenginefx wrote:Yeah I don't like how it just oozes out a blob to prime. I'd rather just prime it using more skirts...but that's just me.

I think if it primed using skirts right off the batt it would be a lot slower and might kick up a mess more frequently. The free-flow off to the side looks like it is putting plastic out at a higher rate than printing does, and there are air bubbles and stuff that come out in the beginning that might keep a skirt from laying down. There's often a bit of curly-cue ooze that usually gets swiped off at the edge, which would muck things up if it just started printing right away with that stuck to the nozzle. My favorite is when a little hang-mans noose drops down and hangs there off the side during a print :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

pcenginefx

Post by pcenginefx » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:40 am

So this was the exact steps I took to print:

1. Updated S3D to latest version (2.2.1)

2. Imported my STL model

3. Added new Process
-Selected "MakerGear M2 (24V, V3b hotend)" profile
-Under Temperature tab, verified that "Wait for temp controller to stabilize before beginning build" was checked for both "Primary Extruder T0" (215c) and "Heated Bed T2" (70c)
-Starting G-Code is as follows (all defaults):
M108 S255 ; turn on M2 fans
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Y50 Z0.3 F9600 ; move forward to avoid binder clips
G1 X205 Z10 ; move off platform
G1 Z0.4 ; position nozzle
G92 E0 ; zero extruder
G1 E25 F225 ; purge nozzle
G92 E0 ; zero extruder
G1 X190 Z0.1 E1.0 F1200 ; slow wipe
G1 X180 Z0.25 ; lift

4. Saved settings then selected "Prepare to Print!" button

5. Selected "Begin Printing over USB" button

At this point, the printer executes the starting G-Code without heating up the extruder or HBP and I have to hit "emergency stop" in my machine control panel.

My FFF FW was set to "MakerBot/Sailfish Firmware"...not RepRap.............
//Aaron