First Rhino file - Critiques invited if you've got the time

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Jules

First Rhino file - Critiques invited if you've got the time

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:15 am

I've attached my first attempt at a design using Rhino - it's a FIFO AAA battery dispenser box. (We have to buy the trip A's and double A's by the boatload for all the remotes in the house, and this more or less forces you to use the oldest ones first.)

If I've done something glaringly wrong, or if anyone has suggestions for improvements, I'd greatly appreciate the feedback.

(Because I'm a little hesitant about messing with thinner walls right off the bat, I designed these with 4mm thick walls. If that is going to be overkill, or if it uses too much filament, I can rework it. I wanted it to be a bit sturdy to hold up to the weight of the batteries.)
Battery-Dispenser-Box-AAA.jpg
Battery-Dispenser-Box-AAA.jpg (75.88 KiB) Viewed 12321 times
Thanks guys!
Attachments
Battery Box AAA.zip
(288.27 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

jimc

Re: First Rhino file - Critiques invited if you've got the t

Post by jimc » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:02 am

looks pretty good. i found a couple small things though.

in this picture. see the cut line on the bottom face. this was probably from a result of when you did a boolean union of the part above it. this is normal but when you are all done working with a part run the merge all faces command. it will get rid of all those and clean things up. these can also interfere with fillets and other tools.
merge.png
(366.5 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
on this part of the model, you didnt union this one polysurface to the rest of the model. in a closeup you can see the corners are off slightly as well. just run the move command from one end point to the end point on the model then boolean union.
union.png
(62.76 KiB) Downloaded 355 times

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:37 pm

Thank you so much jim, that is exactly the kind of thing I needed! I knew there had to be a way to get those sections merged, but I tried the boolean union and the puzzle piece join thing and neither one got rid of it.

And good catch on the misaligned edge - that one got past me. I'll go fix things up a bit. :D

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:36 pm

Yep! That got it! Looks about a thousand times better, and I also found a couple of places where there were tiny gaps from when I had changed the angle on the fins to let the batteries roll down, but hadn't joined the front wall sections correctly to the changed angle on the fins. (Used a different method to make the one for the AA bats, and that one worked out better.)

I think you've got another Rhino convert to add to the notches on your belt. Once I figure out what the heck I'm doing, it's going to be a stone cold blast.........Many thanks! :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:51 pm

yes its very cool software and fun to use. i know my way around it pretty good to do most things but i feel i have barely scratched the surface with it.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:04 pm

How long have you been using it?

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Jules wrote:suggestions for improvements
Although it's contrary to the can-build-anything spirit of DIY 3D printing, I think chopping that box into smaller chunks that will print without heroics would be a Good Idea. Think of it as "design for manufacturing"...

The notion of square-pegs-in-holes is tempting, but the tolerances aren't good enough: replace the pegs with holes, then use machine screws to hold the parts together. Ream the clearance holes (by hand-twisting a drill bit), tap the end holes (a self-tapping screw will work), and it'll be self-aligning.

You could use blind alignment holes sized for filament pins, then glue the whole thing together with no visible fasteners.

Split the leftmost object in half along its midline, then print the halves with the midline on the platform. That makes the partitions half as high with bracing on two sides.

Split the rightmost object along its midline and print with the flat side walls on the platform. As with the other part, that reduces the partition height and gives them more bracing.

Add alignment holes along the split sides, so you can insert filament snippets and glue them back together.

If my experience is any guide, the first pass will reveal a glaringly obvious design oversight. That's where 3D printing shines: you can iterate quickly, without tedious machining!

Yodajammies

Post by Yodajammies » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Where is the "like" button? Great critique ed!

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:08 pm

about a year and a half. unfortunately i just dont get to model stuff as much as i like. if i could use it daily or or have the time to sit down and do some more complex models with it then i would be extremely good with it by now. i usually sit down at the computer and get off track doing other things then it never happens.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:16 pm

yes! ed posted a very good point. most people with 3d printers like to model these objects that have all sorts of parts in one piece then just press print. try not to do that. break everything down into components like it would be if it were traditionally manufactured. like my bomb i made here...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1588&start=10

if that actually fit on the table in once piece, i would not model that and print it. i broke it down into all its components then assembled it. its easier to print, looks more professional and realistic.