How to use "processes" in S3D

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
BigBadBry

How to use "processes" in S3D

Post by BigBadBry » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:44 pm

OK, Thought I understood how the Processes in S3D were supposed to be used....

I would imagine that every material spool I have really SHOULD have its own process (with extrusion modifiers based on calibration etc) set aside in some sort of library. For example, I might have (selectible in my processes list): Makergear PLA, MakerGear ABS, eSun PETG, etc) That way, when ever I start a new factory file and import my parts to be printed, I can select the appropriate material preset from the list and I'm ready to rock and roll...

HOWEVER, It seems like every time you start a new factory file, that process list resets to default, and all of those process settings are gone.

Am I not looking at the intended purpose of this panel correctly? Isn't there a way to store some kind of materials-library and if so, how?

jsc

Re: How to use "processes" in S3D

Post by jsc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:51 pm

A new process always starts off with the last settings you used, including any changes you may have made. So even though the drop down may indicate some FFF file, if you made any changes, it will have those changes in there already. To get back to your "stock" settings as in the FFF file, select another profile at random and switch back to your desired profile.

http://jinschoi.github.io/simplify3d-docs/ may be interesting; skip to "Add a Process".

BigBadBry

Post by BigBadBry » Tue May 05, 2015 3:04 am

ok so wait...

when you open your factory file, do you just have 1 process present? How then do you select the material preset youl be using (be it ABS, PLA, PETG, etc).

Sorry, Im still not clear on the best practices when it comes to your own material presets; Ive been making a single preset for each unique material spool, using the PLA / ABS / Nylon checkmarks merely as a starting point. Its clear now this isnt what was intended by the S3D folks, lol

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue May 05, 2015 3:51 am

No, that works......I start out with their recommendations, then after I calibrate it and make whatever little adjustments I need for the particular roll, i just Export the process to a folder on my desktop, with a descriptive name that looks something like this:

PLA_MG_white. (PLA- MakerGear_White)
PETG_ESun_nat.
ABS_MG_black.

Once you export it, Simplify keeps it in the drop-down area, with all of your processes in one spot. Very convenient. When you switch rolls, you just call up the process you saved before printing.

What you do lose is any kind of specialty settings you may have recently made, such as 1 perimeter or 10% infill. Those just get adjusted each time, depending on what's being printed.
So I just use a default processes setting of 2 top, 2 bottom and 2 perim with 20% infill in all of the processes that I save. (That way at least I get a top and bottom on my prints if i forget to adjust those before starting one.)

But it's handy for doing things like saving the preferred temperatures for each roll, and reducing the speed overall, so I save those in the processes settings too.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue May 05, 2015 5:00 am

When you export your settings, only the exact settings that are current in effect are exported. The materials/quality preset buttons are only available with the built-in profiles... sort of....

What you can do, and what I helped Rob do with his recently shared "master" profile, is edit an exported profile in a text editor to add back in parameters for those preset buttons, so you can put them to your own use. It's a little tricky to figure out what parameters are allowed in which sections, and they can't overlap at all.