Infill Extrusion Width

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
quaver

Infill Extrusion Width

Post by quaver » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Working on calibrating my Makergear M2 today. Printing a 20X20X2mm thin wall calibration object. Dialed in the extrusion width and achieved good results. Printing now with no solid layers for top or bottom, 1 perimeter shell, infill set to 100%. Plan was to adjust Infill Extrusion Width (IEW) until each thread was slight touching the adjacent thread and Z height measurements were 2mm less the .05mm I am giving up with an 80% first layer.

At 100% IEW two are three threads are touching for most of their length but then there is a gap between the next two or three thread grouping. I have adjusting the value in 15% steps up to 200% and observed no appreciable change. I then lowered it to 75% and it seems to have thinned just a small amount (more thread not touching adjacent threads). Z height measurement from 75% to 200% remains unchanged.

What exactly does IEW do and what other parameters influence the weight of its control authority. From what I can tell it doesn't really do anything or its effects are diminished by some other setting that I am not aware of.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

jsc

Re: Infill Extrusion Width

Post by jsc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:47 pm

Infill extrusion width only applies to infill. That will not come into play in a thin wall object.

See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1964 for extrusion multiplier calibration (under Extruder tab, not Infill tab).

Infill extrusion multiplier says make the infill use x% more/less filament, keeping the total amount of filament used for infill constant at your infill percentage. That means if you use 200% IEM, your infill will be spaced twice as far apart at 100%, which may not be desirable for low infill percentages. I find it most useful for getting high infill percentages laid down quickly, or for PETG.

Matt_Sharkey

Re: Infill Extrusion Width

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Does S3D have a "infill/Perimeter overlap? Mine is set to 15% in Slic3r and now i realize that it could stand to be bumped up a few percent. I will play with it today once I get to work (2 hour delay for ice 8-) )