M2 Slic3r settings

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
ketil

M2 Slic3r settings

Post by ketil » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:15 pm

I'll go ahead an post a link to my Slic3r settings for printing PLA on the M2 here as well:

https://github.com/kefir-/M2-config

There's also settings for Pronterface that set the right dimensions for the bed, and add 4 really useful buttons to calibrate (level) the bed: Cal Y- ,Cal Y+, Cal X+ and Cal X-. After homing, just click them in that order and adjust the screw right under the nozzle until it is the right height distance from the bed. With some practice, you can eyeball the distance and do a full bed level in less than a minute.

There's also buttons to disable motor release timeouts (so that the bed doesn't fall while you're leveling the bed or waiting for warm-up), and buttons to start and stop all the fans.

I have a 12v printer with a heatcore hotend, so you'll need to change temperatures and set M108 from S155 to S255 in the start config and pronterface buttons if you have a cartridge style heater and 24V fans.

jsc

Re: M2 Slic3r settings

Post by jsc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:42 pm

I thought those were yours for some reason, but then I thought I had made an incorrect assumption because kefir != ketil.

j-rod

Post by j-rod » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:55 pm

thanks ketil! this will help speed up the leveling process quite a bit.

ketil

Post by ketil » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:42 pm

@jsc, both ketil and kefir were taken on github, so I had to revert to kefir- even... Dissapointed with that, but hey, that's what I get for not being an early adopter! :)

@j-rod, thanks, glad to hear it's of help. I'm happy to receive input if there's other configuration settings that improve on what I've set, I'm sure there's lots to improve.

I'll go ahead and steal a link to @jsc's photo here as well, showing what it looks like if you're eyeballing the Z distance when bed leveling. Try this out, and if your skirt isn't squished when you print, try getting it a bit closer. If your first layer sticks out farther than the other layers, try a little more distance. Make sure your printer is backlit when you're leveling, and you'll be able to see really well how far the nozzle is from the bed.

ketil

Post by ketil » Wed May 28, 2014 12:12 am

In case anyone's interested, I've updated the configurations available on https://github.com/kefir-/M2-config:
  • slic3r-config-PLA.ini - basic Slic3r config for PLA, with all the latest bells and whistles from slic3r 1.1.4-dev.
  • slic3r-config-PLA-careful.ini - a "careful" configuration. A bit slower, so it takes longer, but results usually come out nicer. I pretty much always use this.
  • dot-pronsolerc - Rename to .pronsolerc and place in home folder. I run pronterface from git, but a recent release should work nicely.
Things I've changed:
  • Updated PID parameters (nozzle only, not bed), with button and in start gcode
  • Disabled avoid_crossing_perimeters option, as slic3r defaults now are much better, and it had some drawbacks (lots of ooze on long moves, slow file export)
  • Small changes of speeds and accelleration, but nothing dramatic
The major improvements are from using new releases of slic3r, not from tuning the config so much. Run from git (I currently use 1.1.4-dev) or use latest release, currently 1.1.3.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed May 28, 2014 3:06 am

Hello Ketil,

What improvements have you seen in slic3r since version 1.0.0?

ketil

Post by ketil » Thu May 29, 2014 12:09 am

For me the biggest improvement was that the default logic has been changed to complete each "island" individually, rather than doing all the individual perimeters first, followed by all the individual infills later.

To summarize roughly, I think there has been lots of bugfixing, in addition to good improvements with support, the path planner and bridging. I'm not sure all are perfect yet, but it's certainly moving in the right direction.

Check out what is being planned and what was fixed in earlier releases here:

https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/issues/milestones

theotheranony

Post by theotheranony » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:13 pm

I have been attempting to print some pretty complicated things--see pictures below. I am getting all sorts of string between ends, and the always hated turn-up at the corners.. Are these .ini files good for printing complex objects like seen below? If not, does anyone have any config files they would share to accomplish something like this? Or any suggestions on alterations..

Thanks!

ketil

Post by ketil » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:58 pm

I'd say you need to tune your retraction settings before printing something big like that. I've not primarily printed objects like that, but have tried to collect some decent generic settings. Work with something small with lots of retraction until you get it nicely tuned, like this pyramid: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21303

To avoid curling corners I usually add a 3mm - 5mm brim with good results, and heat the bed to 60-65 (which is normal). If that's not good enough, consider applying the right types of hairspray or glue to the bed.

Keep in mind that I haven't updated the settings on github with all the latest slic3r settings, so flick through the settings in case there are new options that seem sensible to change.

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:50 pm

OK I am dumb about the downloaded Slic3R ini settings, do I need to change anything for the V4 nozzle to use? All I use is either ABS or PETG. I am changing things around in my shop and putting an older XP laptop out there and the wireless connection on that machine sucks. I can not use S3D without wireless so I will do my designing in the house and save to SD card. But I need something in the shop to run my M2 and tell it to print from the SD.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router