Just setup OctoPrint. Any tips?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jsc

Re: Just setup OctoPrint. Any tips?

Post by jsc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:14 am

I don't have a Pi, and I'm running the bleeding edge devel branch, so I'm out of ideas. I did just check the non-development master version of the source, and it looks like it should also be reporting based on that setting. (You did click "save" for the setting, yes? Just making sure....) If someone else with a Pi can chime in on how their temperature reporting behaves, maybe we can fix you.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:18 am

yes im saving. after i rebooted i made sure she was still at 1 sec. ehh not a big deal at all. i can easily adapt to it. funny how you really get used to one piece of software then try changing. i feel like one of the whiners on the s3d forum. lol. would like to hear from someone else though running it just to see if they are seeing the same as me.

thanks for looking into that for me jin!

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:47 am

I was just messing around trying to debug some connection problem I was having (the trouble living on the bleeding edge) and noticed that the mouseover for Communication timeout says that it is also the interval at which the temperature gets polled when not actively printing. What is that set to for you?

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:14 am

in the settings the communication timeout is set at 30sec. i put my mouse over on any of the settings on the communication page and i dont get any description or pop up. i assume we are talking about the same thing? sounds like you are getting a description like the way you mouseover a setting in s3d?

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:20 am

Yes, the Settings/Serial Connection page. When I leave my mouse over any of the settings, I get a tool tip popup. It's probably a new thing with the later software.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:26 am

ahhhh ha!! it wasnt the communication timeout. it was the connection timeout. that was set to 10 sec. i set that to 2sec then rebooted octoprint and its good now. pretty much the same speed as s3d. thanks for that jin.

lem

Post by lem » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:46 am

I just read through this thread again and I saw something that OctoPrint does, and corrects a deficiency in Simplify3D.

One of the screen shots from JohnnyRobot post on March 9th shows that OctoPrint uses checksums!!!!!!!

I was thinking about writing a program to post process Simplify3D's output to add the checksum feature. Don't need to with this setup.

If you are printing with Simplify3D via USB and having problems with failed prints -- this might be your answer to the problem. Simplify3D does not use checksums.

Larry
Last edited by lem on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:50 am

Jim, that behavior is super odd. The connection timeout shouldn't affect anything related to the temperature polling interval. But, whatever, I didn't write it. Glad it works for you.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:53 am

yeah thats weird. so are you using a different version of octopi than i am? something newer?

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:16 am

I'm running the very latest development branch from github. Not sure what the differences are. I think the completion time estimator is somewhat improved. You can upgrade an OctoPi image following instructions from the FAQ: https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wik ... topi-image