Simplify 3D question

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Jules

Simplify 3D question

Post by Jules » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:18 am

I'm printing some eSun Brown PLA, and the average diameter of the filament is around 1.62 mm.

Not a problem, I've adjusted the extrusion fudge factor (1.40) to compensate for it and tightened the nut a bit to catch it, but I was wondering....in the Other section there is a setting for the Filament Diameter. Will changing that value affect the extrusion volume or is it just for costing purposes?

Enquiring minds want to know....... :?

ednisley

Re: Simplify 3D question

Post by ednisley » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:00 am

Jules wrote:Will changing that value affect the extrusion volume or is it just for costing purposes?
The filament diameter tells the slicer how much plastic will enter the hot end, so it really should match the actual filament diameter.

Assuming you've set the diameter correctly for a given spool of filament (in your case, 1.62), you then go through the thinwall box calibration process to set the Extrusion Multiplier, so that the actual thread width matches the slicer's expectation.

You'll find the definitive thread in your bookmarks: [grin]

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1964&start=20#p9144

The two aren't interchangeable: the Extrusion Multiplier is linear, the diameter is quadratic.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:19 am

Oh yeah Ed, I live by that calibration routine....I've got a pint jar full of little topless squares! :lol:

I'd already forced it to work just by adjusting the extrusion multiplier (up to 1.4 from 0.9) and fiddling with the Z-stop. But I'd thought that the setting in Other was just for cost estimates. I'll change it on the next round of bunnies and recalibrate. :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:09 am

the multiplier is a fine tune only. for the most part that will only change a couple few points up or down if you have the diameter set correctly. get in the habit of measuring the spool then take a sharpie and write it on the side of the spool. of course the dia can change through the spool so measure it every once in a while as you go through it to make sure its consistent. the dia in s3d should eb the first thing you set.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:27 am

Yeah, I figured that a multiplier of 1.4 was a bit over the top, so that's why I asked. (Forcing it to smoosh out an extra 40% seemed a bit much, although it was working.) :shock:

I'm getting some pretty wide swings in the diameter - it ranges from 1.5 or so to 1.68, so the 1.62 number is the average of about 30 measurements. It does affect the measurements of the little calibration squares a bit, but I do realize we're shooting for close enough when dealing with a string of melted plastic.

So how can you tell if your nozzle is partially clogged? The extruded string on this one seems a little thin, but it might just be the different manufacturer - the PLA seems a bit "runnier" at the same temperature that I was using for the MakerGear filament. (And I am saving the FFF files for each of these individual filaments, cause this is going to get confusing in a hurry.)

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:34 am

thats not right for the filament. have it replaced. up or down just a few thousandths is normal but not a swing like that not to mention its small. however small is better than bigger. so far all my esun stuff have been really close but an oddball spool can make it through.

you cant judge by the string of filament that is extruded. every plastic is different in what is called die swell. plastics swell to a degree after its extruded. some more than others.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:41 am

Okay many thanks, I'll look into it. :)