S3D selecting a single object

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Abide787

S3D selecting a single object

Post by Abide787 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Ok I've looked in S3D and if it is there I sure cannot find it.

If you have more than one object in an .stl file, is there a way in S3D to only designate one object to print?

If there isn't could someone suggest slicer software where that can be done?

Looking forward to hearing!

Tom

jsc

Re: S3D selecting a single object

Post by jsc » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:51 pm

There is no such thing as STL files with more than one object (technically). Sure, it might look that way to you, but to the computer it's all just one big undifferentiated mass of geometry.

You can use mesh editing tools like Meshmixer to slice and dice your STL. I think "separate shells" is probably what you're going to want to use, although I am not proficient at meshmixer by any means.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Abide787 wrote:slicer software where that can be done?
New(er) version of Slic3r can cut a single STL file into separate objects that you can move / remove as needed; it looks for isolated parts and chops between them.

It can also split objects at a specific Z coordinate and optionally flip the "bottom" part upside down.

You can also apply "modifier meshes" that change printing parameters within a specified volume.

I'm running the hot-from-Github code, but the 1.1.7 stable version should have them, too.

Good stuff...

Abide787

Post by Abide787 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks ednisly! I will be checking it out today!