Rhino 3D: how to convert curve to cookie cutter

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jimc

Re: Rhino 3D: how to convert curve to cookie cutter

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:05 pm

What jin pointed you to is exactly the way i do it. Its far easier to lay out all your curves then extrude instead of dealing with shelling a solid.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:34 pm

jimc wrote:What jin pointed you to is exactly the way i do it. Its far easier to lay out all your curves then extrude instead of dealing with shelling a solid.

Yeah, that is something I wish I knew about YEARS ago. A lot of these Rhino features are just hiding in plain sight.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:02 pm

I cant tell you how many time i wanted to do something and not knowing there was even such a tool available so i just start typing what i think it might be called in the command line and something pops right up.

Yodajammies

Post by Yodajammies » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:39 pm

The amount of upgrades and improvements made between Rhino4 and 5 is staggering. I would highly recommend upgrading! Currently McNeel is offering a 90 day trial version of the software. (3 months?! Who does that!)

Yep, offset your curve first then extrude the closed loops to create your solid surface. 2d offsets are much more accurate than 3d offsets (at least in rhino)