SpaceMouse/SpaceNavigator

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Jules

SpaceMouse/SpaceNavigator

Post by Jules » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:30 am

Has anyone used one with Rhino?

My computer is black-screening me, I'm about to place the order for the new one, and they've got a sweet deal on the Space critters with a new purchase. Should I?

jsc

Re: SpaceMouse/SpaceNavigator

Post by jsc » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:36 am

The 3Dconnexion web site says Rhino is supported.

I can't say if it it would be worth it for you, but I use it every time I use a CAD program. There is a learning curve, but once you get it dialed in, it makes moving your object around on the screen completely intuitive.

One suggestion I'd have is to set up the axes such that how you move the mouse mirrors how the object moves on screen. There are two different common interaction paradigms. One is, the mouse lets you "pilot" your viewpoint around the model, so push forward: move forward, rotate right: roll right. I prefer the alternative, where the mouse is a stand in for the object. Push forward: the model is being pushed forward, into the screen, so the viewpoint moves back. Rotate right: the model is being rotated, so your viewpoint rolls left. It depends on how the app interprets mouse motions, but you can swap the axes so that your preferred interaction model is implemented. Once you get used to it, it feels like you're just reaching through the screen and handling your model directly.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:21 pm

I have one I use for Rhino too. I don't use it as much as I did years ago. I do reach over and grab it to tweak my view sometimes. I have just gotten into the habit of keeping a hand on a multiple button mouse that controls pan, rotate, zoom and the other hand on the keyboard.

It is all a matter of getting into the habit of using it, but I would get the base model to start. It is very nicely made and has good software for configuring it.

For me, it falls into the nice, but not necessary category.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:49 pm

Thanks guys! Just placed the order (for the little one - not about to spend $300 on the Space Pilot.) So my new setup should be here in a couple of weeks. Hope the current one holds out that long. :D

Let the loooooong redundant backup process begin........ :(

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:34 pm

I have a navigator. It took me a bit to het used to it but now its very natural and like second nature. I cant live without it now. Thing is awesome

Yodajammies

Post by Yodajammies » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:41 pm

^ Yup this.

When I first started using the space mouse with Rhino I thought I would never need it, but now when I design something at home I instinctively grab for it like a phantom limb. A very very useful tool if you have the $. The 300$ version is overrated IMO (too many buttons I never mapped to anything!), but that 99$ puck fits the bill perfectly.

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Jim, are you using the navigator in Rhino for the Mac or are you running it on a windows machine? I'm pretty sure you use both and I can't seem to find any confirmation that it works properly in OS 10.9.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:53 pm

yes i am using it on pc and mac. no problems. i might have heard somewhere though that you dont have full functionality on a mac with all the fancy buttons with the space pilot. the navigator works like a champ.