simplify3d v3.0

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
lem

Re: simplify3d v3.0

Post by lem » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:19 am

did you upgrade your account in the link in the first post?
Yes.

Must have been a network glitch, as I tried it again later and it worked that time.

I also have a problem with the forced network access to run the program. My printing computers are not on the network.

I can't even begin to describe how irritating this is.

Very disappointing for a company to inject inconvenience into the work flow. I'm not trying to rip them off. I paid for it, I would just like to use it.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:27 am

Probably not something they thought of - they'll likely have to address it in the next iteration, because I imagine folks will let them know.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:28 am

Getting some real strangeness with supports on a model I am trying to print. Basically its putting support INSIDE the actual model.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Never Mind - turns out the inflation distance was too great and was forcing the support to join in strange ways :)
Last edited by Bratag on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:29 am

lem you dont need network access to run the program. just to setup your acct and do the initial download and install. you can run it on a computer completely off the grid.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:31 am

bratag can you zip up and post the factory file or toss it in a dropbox or something so we can take a look? internal supports was a feature request at one point but i have not heard if they implemented anything.

lem

Post by lem » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:11 am

you can run it on a computer completely off the grid
I did find a way to do this. It still puts up that log-in dialog box and indicates invalid credentials. If I dismiss the dialog box the program will run.

Had to vent. Sorry.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:16 am

if your computer is not connected to the internet the software will run and not ask you for anything. that box should not pop up at all. if it is on the internet you should just log in one time, when you first run the program then unless you purposely log out it should not ask you again.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:50 am

Interesting thing.....If you try to use the Update Profile key to modify anything in the Default profile, it won't let you do it.

But if you make a change in the Default profile, then click on a different profile in the drop-down section, it asks you if you want to save the changes to the Default profile before switching to a different profile, and does it.

Whoopsie! I hope I didn't just modify everyone's Default if they are tracking these things! 8-)
(If your default profile suddenly sprouts de-celeration and a controlled gentle lowering of the bed after a print, let me know. :lol: )

routr71

Post by routr71 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:33 am

Holy cow! This update has TONS of new features. Have you guys looked at the full changelog yet? https://www.simplify3d.com/software/changelog/

And it sounds like there were a bunch of minor fixes and improvements that weren't even mentioned on there from the big overhaul. I'm impressed.

Update: I just found this link which may also be helpful since it answers a lot of the questions in this thread. It's an FAQ specifically for the v3.0 changes.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/version-3-0-faqs/

lem

Post by lem » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:33 pm

if your computer is not connected to the internet the software will run and not ask you for anything
Ok, I spent some time with this and finally figured out how to get it working. I'm still not happy with the company, but here's what I found out.

In order to get the program to run without the initial log-in screen:

1) if you haven't already go to the website and update your account to the new "cloud" version
2) now log-in to that new account
3) download the installer program, install the software
4) bring up Simplify3D - it will ask you to log-in
5) make sure the "remember me" check box is checked - log in
6) start Simplify3d

If your machine is not going to be on the network, it must contain the network adapter that you used to install/log-in etc.

Without that network adapter in your machine (don't have to connect a cable to it, just must be there and enabled), Simplify3D version 3.0 will not run.

I guess I have to go buy a network card for my offline machine and start over.

Larry