simplify3d v3.0

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
innkeeper

Re: simplify3d v3.0

Post by innkeeper » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:59 am

This should be interesting, I started a long multi part print with the x/y speed set to 300mm/s, not realizing it and ha don e of those.. holy @#$! moments ...realized I had not changed them.
I would have stopped the print and restarted it, at a lower x/y speed... but its pretty far along... so might as well see what happens.
print speed is 80mm/s though.
so far no skips...
in case it actually finishes with no skips...and if this is a factor...I've converted the machine to smoothieboard/smoothiewear. and the x/y currents are a bit higher then documented stock current - but what I believe to be what the firmware actually produces in marlin..
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:54 am

Actually thats default speed in s3d. I personally think its too high but your running a different setup.

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:20 pm

Where does s3d get its defaults from ? I know my machine cannot under any circumstances run that speed. Maybe if I turn acceleration and jerk down extremely low ? I get shifting layers even at 250...200 it's reliable all day long. Rails are well lubed ,belt are properly tensioned. I know my y rail is a little loose.
I will order one and replace it soon. I know at fast speeds with multiple parts on the tray 40mm z hop is not enough to keep flex from letting the nozzle srike a printed part on a long quick travel from one side of the bed to the other.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:53 pm

For what it is worth the print went fine at 300 mm/s, print was about 6" tall multi part print. I do recall having skipping problems way back before I put this printer on the shelf for a while and resolved it by lowering speeds. I can't remember if it was the xy speed but I'd assume so. since I upgraded to s3d 3.0 I can't go back and look. I may do some tests to see how far I can push it just out of curiosity. I'll likely run at lower speeds for reliability.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:01 pm

Has anyone had issues receiving the e-mail to download the update? I followed the link and entered my e-mail and product key and it said an e-mail has been sent off. I have checked my spam folder and there is nothing there, also e-mailed S3D and have not gotten a reply.... What should I do!

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:10 pm

sprior wrote:Tool change retract can only mean sucking the filament back into the nozzle a little so from your perspective it's an inherently negative value, but then a positive value would make no sense so the parameter is specified unsigned.
Thanks, I think I understand. I will just continue to us the Scripts and write my own tool change script. It seems to work well. just need to work on retraction to get rid of the oozing.

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:08 pm

Ronnien55 wrote:
sprior wrote:Tool change retract can only mean sucking the filament back into the nozzle a little so from your perspective it's an inherently negative value, but then a positive value would make no sense so the parameter is specified unsigned.
Thanks, I think I understand. I will just continue to us the Scripts and write my own tool change script. It seems to work well. just need to work on retraction to get rid of the oozing.
finally figured it out and now do not need the tool change script, thanks

insta

Post by insta » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Ronnien55 wrote:
Ronnien55 wrote:
finally figured it out and now do not need the tool change script, thanks
What did you do? post that stuff so people can look it up later.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Rara

Post by Rara » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:51 am

When printing multiple models, sequential object by object, is there a way to specify an order, or at least which model is printed first? This feature would be insanely useful...eeeeexcept it always sets the order the opposite of what would actually work. I can change it up sometimes by fiddling with different number of raft layers or something but that only seems to work on similarly sized parts (right now I have one large and one small part; it would work brilliantly if it didn't default to printing the large one first).
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:16 am

s3d always prints the models in the order they are listed in the side panel.