simplify3d v3.0

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Tim

Re: simplify3d v3.0

Post by Tim » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:02 pm

lem wrote: Ok, I spent some time with this and finally figured out how to get it working. I'm still not happy with the company, but here's what I found out.
After reading that the login window can be dismissed and the program will start up, I tried that, and it works. However, there is no "dismiss" button on the window (this is on the Linux version), so I have to go to the window manager to close the window. I think that (1) in the worst case, it should pop up the window for a second or two just to let you know that it failed to do the login, then pop down the window and start regardless, (2) it should have a "dismiss" button, and (3) I'm pretty sure the "remember me" is completely broken (again, on the Linux version, not sure about others), which is causing the "Invalid Credentials" message to come up. And (4), if it's really not necessary to be logged in to your account while running the program, then there should be a way to disable that on startup and only do a manual login from the menu bar if requested. (5) They need a privacy policy. How the heck do I know what data they're collecting off my computer? They have a privacy policy for the website, but the EULA for S3D is very non-specific and more or less says that they can take data from you at any time and give it to 3rd party vendors, record date/time stamps and clickstreams, post invisible GIF click targets, etc. Reading through the EULA carefully doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Oooh, "separate connected surfaces" under mesh. Separate a "helpful" build-plate object from Thingiverse without having to open Meshmixer. Or remove the inner surface from a solid object which someone has modeled with an interior hollow.

lem

Post by lem » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:53 pm

I guess I should have been more specific. Windows doesn't have a "dismiss" button either. Almost all Window's windows have an "X" in the upper right corner which is to close or terminate a dialog box. This is the control that I used to close the dialog.
How the heck do I know what data they're collecting
That's one of the reasons I run offline.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:08 pm

tim and lem, you guys should really go start a thread on the s3d forum so they know your concerns. unless you do, next update a couple few months from now nothing will change. so far you guys are the first i have heard bring this up. no one on their forum has said anything about it.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:15 pm

jimc wrote:tim and lem, you guys should really go start a thread on the s3d forum so they know your concerns.
I submitted a support ticket about the buggy behavior with the startup login screen and the "Invalid credentials" result; but you're right, there's a more general discussion that needs to be had on the forum.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:56 pm

yes, i can imagine the flood of support tickets at thins time too. release of a new version less than 48 hrs old. you know they are overwhelmed with tickets right now so it might just get overlooked. a good forum discussion is the way to go.

lem

Post by lem » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:28 pm

tim and lem, you guys should really go start a thread on the s3d forum so they know your concerns
Ok, it's worth a shot.

Haven't had much luck contacting them. Maybe the forum will help.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:00 pm

They fixed their profile saving.

I was able make PETG have a 140% infill width, PLA a 150%, and ABS a 200%. I updated the profile, hit OK, exited the program. When I re-started it, it was all still there. You could not do that before. Multi-material profiles had to be written by hand in a text editor, and if you re-saved over them, you would break them. It works now.

On the other hand, I can't make speed change per print quality setting. For example, I can't have PETG print at 30mm/sec at high quality and 60 mm/sec at low quality.
Last edited by rsilvers on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:05 pm

yes also having to do with that is they fixed the scaling value. if you scaled your model up or down and you saved the factory file it would save your model in the scaled state but it would not save the value so when you opened the factory file up the scale would be back to reading 100% but the part would actually still be scaled the way you had it. this was q big problem since unless you did testing you would have no idea what was going on with the dimensions of your parts. anyway, all fixed now.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:07 pm

rsilvers wrote:They fixed their profile saving.

I was able make PETG have a 140% infill width, PLA a 150%, and ABS a 200%. I updated the profile, hit OK, exited the program. When I re-started it, it was all still there. You could not do that before. Multi-material profiles had to be written by hand in a text editor, and if you re-saved over them, you would break them. It works now.
Should I be using a 150% infill width on PLA? :shock:
(Dag-nabbit! Been doing it wrong for months!)