anyone using octoprint 1.2.2?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jimc

anyone using octoprint 1.2.2?

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:38 am

so i got the most recent octopi image to update my pi. i was curious if anyone else has this version and got the networking actually working? i think the newest version is 1.2.3 but its not avail for pi yet. anyway they changed something in how the networking works. they got rid of the configuration tool which gets it connected in all of about 2 sec. now you open the sd card and modify a txt file which is jumbled nonsense and basically does nothing. anyone try the new version and get it going?

PcS

Re: anyone using octoprint 1.2.2?

Post by PcS » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:40 pm

No. What's new in this version ? Other than non working wifi ? Lol

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:54 pm

I havent seen any kind of official changelog. It looks like a bunch of little interface changes and bug fixes.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Maybe this is the change that is responsible? https://github.com/guysoft/OctoPi/commi ... ffcb7b914c

Is the file you mentioned /boot/octopi-network.txt? The commit comment seems to indicate that if you comment out everything in that file (put a "#" at the beginning of the line to comment out), or erase it entirely, it should go back to the old way of doing things.

But that file looks like a standard network interfaces file, so it should be pretty easy to figure out. Just put your SSID and password where it says "put SSID here", etc. Then uncomment the appropriate lines, depending on whether you're using WEP or WPA.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Yeah i read the file. I dont know what all the # signs are for. Are you supposed to delete everything except the needed info? I run an open network. I have tried to directly edit the network interfaces file before but no one on any of the pi forums could tell me how to set that up as an open network. Because of that i always have to use a configuration tool. For my other pi i use something called wicd-curses which works great on that but with octopi installed there is a conflict between any conf tool and octopi's networking setup. In any case im not totally sure what you are supposed to do with that text file. It say uncomment it. Does than mean i take the quotes off of the item i want to use and enter in the info? Delete stuff or what?

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:43 pm

A "#" at the start of any line comments it out. If you want to try to use that file, then you can try these lines:

Code: Select all

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
Your interface may not be wlan0. To find out what it is, run "/sbin/ifconfig" and there should be several sections: eth0, lo, and something else. That something else is the interface name you should use instead of wlan0.

If you want to continue to try using wicd, try commenting out everything in that file.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi Jim, did you get it fixed? Did you end up having to re-flash the SD card because of this?

I haven't updated mine yet, but if none of the above work uncomment the two lines in the open network area of the file and put your SSID and password. Like explained above just delete the "#" to uncomment.

When commented the software ignores that line, when uncommented the software treats it as data to configure the network.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:31 pm

thanks for the info guys. i have not tried anything yet. maybe tonight i will play with it. i went back to the old version last night and was up and running in 2 min after reflashing the card. i am going to dig up another sd card, flash that with the new version so i can play with it on my other pi i have running retropi on.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:57 am

yeah i played with this a bit more and its a no go. i removed the # sign from before all the open network items in that file and nut the network name in there and i got nothing. i hate this command line stuff. last time i messed with the command line was 1991. lol

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:38 am

ok i just went and deleted everything in that network text file and used wicd to set up the connection. it was really quirky how i had to do it but it seemed to work. i had it working the other day with it but the connection was really glitchy and was showing up on my lan twice. that all seems to be sorted with how i did it this time but i will need to give this some testing on the printer to see if this connection is working smoothly. they should have just left the octopi networking thing alone. it worked fine before. i really hate networking. something simple that should be 5 min always turns into a 2 day project. i let you guys know if this is working ok.