Why can't S3D slice it? Cura can.

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
swbluto

Re: Why can't S3D slice it? Cura can.

Post by swbluto » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:11 pm

jsc wrote:Feed it through the netfabb cloud service: https://modelrepair.azurewebsites.net/
Nice! That did the trick. It'd be nice to have a local program to do it, however. They could pull the service, start charging tons of money for it, be inaccessible when internet is down, etc. whereas an 'ordinary program' on my computer is mine forever and doesn't depend on connective reliability.

Time to google "free netfabb alternative", lol.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:59 pm

A good free alternative to the netfabb cloud service is the free netfabb basic program.

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:19 pm

So I own Simplify 3D but I would also like to use Cura as it does some things better, I think anyway. Are there profiles for the M2 that are available for Cura?
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:09 pm

Just go through the Cura settings one by one and transfer the appropriate setting from S3D into it. One difficulty is that they specify perimeters in mm instead of extrusion widths, so you will have to do some simple math. Also, Cura doesn't appear to distinguish between nozzle diameter and extrusion width, and I'm never certain which one to use for that....

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:48 pm

jsc wrote:Just go through the Cura settings one by one and transfer the appropriate setting from S3D into it. One difficulty is that they specify perimeters in mm instead of extrusion widths, so you will have to do some simple math. Also, Cura doesn't appear to distinguish between nozzle diameter and extrusion width, and I'm never certain which one to use for that....
I don't think Cura does different extrusion widths natively but if you wanted a wider extrusion width (making the traces/passes wider), you'd probably increase the nozzle diameter and increase the flow % as testing deems necessary.

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:51 pm

wmgeorge wrote:So I own Simplify 3D but I would also like to use Cura as it does some things better, I think anyway. Are there profiles for the M2 that are available for Cura?
As far as "M2 specific profiles", I think you'll find that Cura wasn't fine-tuned around the M2 like S3D was, regardless of how much you tweak it. It's easier to use and more compatible with more models, yes, but its finish and polish isn't nearly as good and no amount of tweaking can fix this.