Retraction

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jdacal

Retraction

Post by jdacal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:43 pm

When printing multiple prints I'm noticing that as the nozzle heads to the other print its just barely rubbing along the top of the current print layer it just finished. What is the adjustment in S3D to retract it a little higher when moving to another area? Is it the same Retraction setting in the Ooze Control section or is there a different one?

Or is it the Retraction Vertical Lift setting in Ooze Control? There are two settings there "Retraction Distance" and Retraction "Vertical Lift", I'm going to guess its Retraction vertical lift?
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jdacal

Re: Retraction

Post by jdacal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:50 pm

Nevermind I found it in S3D docs. Its the Vertical Retraction one that I was looking for.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

Dale Reed

Re: Retraction

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:24 pm

For the benefit of those who don't want to go dig through the S3D docs:
Retraction distance is how far the filament is pulled back from the nozzle before making a rapid (non-extruding) X/Y move, like to a different part or different area of the part. This is a move of the filament extruder "axis". Note that S3D has an offset to adjust the return of the filament. Let's say your retraction is 1.0 mm and the offset is -0.1 mm -- S3D will pull the filament back 1 mm before doing the rapid move, then push the filament back into the nozzle only 0.9 mm before starting the next extruding move.
Retraction vertical lift is how far the Z axis lifts (bed drops) before making a rapid X/Y move. This is a move of the Z axis. This helps avoid the issue with the nozzle dragging on the top surface of the part during a rapid, which is the issue jdacal was having. This can save you a lot of grief and "clunking" of the nozzle into the edges of parts if you have parts curling up on the edges.
Coast sets how early the filament stops being pushed by the extruder before the extruding X/Y motion stops. If you set coast for 1 mm, the filament stops being pushed by the extruder "early", when there's still 1 mm of X/Y motion left to complete in the extruding move, before switching to a rapid (non-extruding) move. This can help with "zits" on the print because when the extruder motor stops pushing, there can be some built-up pressure of melted filament behind the nozzle, and that extra plastic has to go somewhere. Better to have it finish the last mm of the extruding line than bulge out into a zit at the end of the line or come out as a fine whisker during the rapid!

Hope this helps!
Dale