Help on getting support to work

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
nirfriedman

Help on getting support to work

Post by nirfriedman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:16 am

Hi,

I am a newbie switching from a "closed" technology printer (Up!/Affinia) to the wild world of open source printers. In my old printer there few options for support structure, but they would come out pretty good. Meaning that they were easy to break off and usually left a nice surface. I am trying to print designs that are complex structures that are not flat (think 3D puzzles for example).

My tests so far on the M2 not so good. Playing with the support settings I got to a stage where they are ok, but still the under-side of the object looks horrible (you can see individual strands) and the topside of a part that has support on top of it shows the mark of the support.

In general I feel the much of the community is trying to avoid support structures as much as possible. This is very different from my previous experience. I understand that this were different slicers can prove their mettle. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Nir

insta

Re: Help on getting support to work

Post by insta » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:42 am

What slicer are you using? If Simplify3D check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2675
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

nirfriedman

Post by nirfriedman » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:43 am

insta wrote:What slicer are you using? If Simplify3D check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2675
Yes, Simplify3D. That thread was useful. Thanks!

Switching to ABS led (with the same slice setting except temperatures) to better results. Still not as good as I would wish for.

I do wonder if it is worth trying other slicers?

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:59 am

Simplify is very good when it comes to supports (in my experience). You may wish to try out other slicers; Slic3r and Cura are probably the most widely used. If you like, post a factory file from S3D (zipped as an attachment) to get some suggestions, as in that other thread.

insta

Post by insta » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:00 am

The other slicers are infinitely better on a performance-per-price basis. They are not better than Simplify3D.

Slic3r is probably better than Cura if you fight it long enough, but there is no major feature missing from Simplify3D that Slic3r or Cura have. Try HIPS from intservo.com if you want better support behavior.

This is natural HIPS @ 220C, 0.2mm layer heights, sliced with Simplify3D, printed on a custom H-bot with a 0.4mm nozzle. The M2 behaves the same way, but they were all busy on other prints. Look at the support removal from the large, flat surface!
https://goo.gl/photos/VydnJKDg4zynhqzr9
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org