Printing Multiple Vases

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Rara

Re: Printing Multiple Vases

Post by Rara » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:57 pm

If you work front to rear, there's actually not much clearance you need - just the fan, basically. For this model I'd only have room for two at a time but I've done 4-6 things like that before without issues. I suppose I will look in to the splicing thing a bit though..probably not going to happen with the software itself it doesn't look like.
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:38 pm

No, recall that the X gantry exists. Anything more than a few inches high will slam into that. Ask me how I know.

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:12 am

Think about it... (if were still talking about printing in vase mode for these vases) it would have to print a entire vase before moving to the next one. If your completed vase is anything more than say 1/2" high that completed vase is going to hit the vertical cross rail of the frame at some point during the start of that second vase no matter where it's located.

Unless of course you want to knock the completed vase off with the frame, hell then you can keep printing them all day long. :lol:

Edit - Now that I think about what you said .... Maybe if you did one at the front most part of the bed then moved to the back side it might work in theory I guess. Let us know how that goes. :lol:

-Steve

Rara

Post by Rara » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:36 am

jsc wrote:No, recall that the X gantry exists. Anything more than a few inches high will slam into that. Ask me how I know.

I've printed numerous jobs like this before, just not in vase mode. ;)

If your first print is at the front, then it finishes and works towards the back, the first completed prints are forward of the gantry/extruder the whole time. Obviously you have to get your ducks in a row as far as making sure you load the models in the order you want them printed, and placement on the bed, but it's totally doable.
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:43 am

Hey, I have a deal. Give me the gcode for the vase in front and then another for the vase in back, and I'll combine it for you. ;)

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:24 am

I have more or less the same thing to do, but they are widgets for a Chevy Pickup instead of vases. I notice in S3D you can duplicate the model Do a deselect both, then select each one and use the move, position or whatever they call it to change the locations of each of the widgets on the print bed. One at a time of course.

SO if I get them far enough apart they will print just one at a time? What if I printed on blue painters tape, (I use a PEI bed and PETG) and zip off the tape with the finished one. I am assuming I can pause the print and I do the SD card print. Suggestions?
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

Rara

Post by Rara » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:50 am

swbluto wrote:Hey, I have a deal. Give me the gcode for the vase in front and then another for the vase in back, and I'll combine it for you. ;)

Oh crap! I totally missed this. Too late now, I just did them one at a time, haha. But, on that note - is this something that's difficult to explain or to do as an example?
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:39 am

wmgeorge wrote:I have more or less the same thing to do, but they are widgets for a Chevy Pickup instead of vases. I notice in S3D you can duplicate the model Do a deselect both, then select each one and use the move, position or whatever they call it to change the locations of each of the widgets on the print bed. One at a time of course.

SO if I get them far enough apart they will print just one at a time? What if I printed on blue painters tape, (I use a PEI bed and PETG) and zip off the tape with the finished one. I am assuming I can pause the print and I do the SD card print. Suggestions?
Maybe I'm missing you here but, you just do the 1st model, get it to the size you want, etc. Then just copy and paste it, Ctrl + C, Crtl + V.

Then you can just keep replicating the parts, and then client center and arrange, and it will put them on the bed for you, then you can see how many you can fit, and keep pasting them.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:21 am

There is a selection in S3D that creates a duplicate model. I do not want to have the M2 trying to print both at the same time side by side because sooner or later the print head will crash into one or the other. I don't think the software knows it's going to happen.
I am planning on separating the two models far enough so one gets printed before the other, I know I can select the print order in the left side file menu. Hopefully no crashes. I hope I am on track on that part. Part 2 will printing on blue painters tape allow me to remove a finished part, before the bed cools...if I need to.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:18 am

I'm at a loss here.

I just looked at the duplicate models, and it does exactly what I indicated to do.

Its going to print a each of the models at the same time. So there is no chance they would crash into each other.

I'm actually printing out 4 of the same item right now.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/