S3D Problems, Program, support, forum.

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
chad

S3D Problems, Program, support, forum.

Post by chad » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:25 pm

Is any one else having problems with S3D? I went to fire it up and it wont run unless I login. The computer that I use on my printer isn't connected to the internet, it is just a little pc that I built just to run the printer. I have connected it so s3d can register and it has worked then just stopped working. This is not the first time this has happened. So I connected it and tried to login. That didn't work. But my credentials work on the website.
Support doesn't get back to me. Tried to post on the forum but anything that isn't complimentary about the software gets moderated to the garbage can. It is impossible to find an email address or phone number, or for that matter an address or any info on the company.
It's a shame because it really is a good program but they really have a dictatorial mindset and don't tolerate dissenting views.

S3d FAQ says: " Is Simplify3D now hosted in the cloud? Has Simplify3D become a cloud app or cloud service?
No " This is obliviously a lie. I can't print unless I login. My login isn't working.

S3d FAQ says: "Does Simplify3D require constant internet access?
No" This is also obliviously also a lie. I can't run the software that I purchased.

I hate anything that is "cloud" for this exact reason. The other thing I want to know is what kind of information is it gathering and sending. I have paid for my software I don't want yet another app behaving as spyware. I tried asking this question on the forum and the post was moderated/deleted. Aside from some bugs v2. Was at least usable. I have had nothing but issues with v3.

Am I alone? Am I the only one this bothers? I have to print something right now for a client. A paid job, and I can't use the software that I purchased, and legitimately registered.
sheesch..
sorry for the rant/ it just makes me furious.

Chad

Bratag

Re: S3D Problems, Program, support, forum.

Post by Bratag » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:05 pm

chad wrote:Is any one else having problems with S3D? I went to fire it up and it wont run unless I login. The computer that I use on my printer isn't connected to the internet, it is just a little pc that I built just to run the printer. I have connected it so s3d can register and it has worked then just stopped working. This is not the first time this has happened. So I connected it and tried to login. That didn't work. But my credentials work on the website.
Support doesn't get back to me. Tried to post on the forum but anything that isn't complimentary about the software gets moderated to the garbage can. It is impossible to find an email address or phone number, or for that matter an address or any info on the company.
It's a shame because it really is a good program but they really have a dictatorial mindset and don't tolerate dissenting views.

S3d FAQ says: " Is Simplify3D now hosted in the cloud? Has Simplify3D become a cloud app or cloud service?
No " This is obliviously a lie. I can't print unless I login. My login isn't working.

S3d FAQ says: "Does Simplify3D require constant internet access?
No" This is also obliviously also a lie. I can't run the software that I purchased.

I hate anything that is "cloud" for this exact reason. The other thing I want to know is what kind of information is it gathering and sending. I have paid for my software I don't want yet another app behaving as spyware. I tried asking this question on the forum and the post was moderated/deleted. Aside from some bugs v2. Was at least usable. I have had nothing but issues with v3.

Am I alone? Am I the only one this bothers? I have to print something right now for a client. A paid job, and I can't use the software that I purchased, and legitimately registered.
sheesch..
sorry for the rant/ it just makes me furious.

Chad
The problem seems to be that S3D needs you to authenticate one time from the machine in question. After that it uses the MAC address of the network card to authenticate - regardless of if you are connected to the internet or not. Disabling the card seems to have the same effect as not having one installed and gives the same issue. This actually makes a lot of sense from a S3D point of view as it guarantees you don't just pirate the software and use it on a machine that never connects to the network.
I realize that its a major bummer for you in this case.

chad

Post by chad » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:32 pm

The thing Is I have connected it and authorized it only on one computer. It was working then it stopped. I'm loosing money because of it.
chad

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:54 pm

chad wrote:The thing Is I have connected it and authorized it only on one computer. It was working then it stopped. I'm loosing money because of it.
chad
Yeah but you said that the comp you run it on isn't connected , its just a pc you built explicitly for printing. Did you ever authorize on that machine? If not then you need to. Think of it from S3D's point of view if they simply allowed you to authorize once and run it everywhere then whats to stop you doing that then giving it away to everyone you know?

chad

Post by chad » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:59 pm

Yes I did auth it on that computer and that computer only. It was working now it is not. I plugged it in again and tried to login, login isn't working.
I've done everything right..

chad

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:01 pm

Did you try re-installing it? (Which might mean it would need to be re-authorized as well.)

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:14 pm

chad wrote:Yes I did auth it on that computer and that computer only. It was working now it is not. I plugged it in again and tried to login, login isn't working.
I've done everything right..

chad
Whelp that truly does suck then. when you go to your account on the S3D can you see the linked devices?

chad

Post by chad » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 pm

I haven't tried to reinstall, I assume it would be the same problem..
I do see the one authed computer.

I downloaded slicer and printed my part that way. The bigger issue is the way the company handles things. I can tell you that I will not be recommending the software to any one, any more.

When I purchased it was way before v3. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew that it would be a login to use spyware app. As far as I am concerned they perpetrated a bait and switch.
I suspect that there are a lot of other people with this problem but they don't allow any negative comments on the form so you never know about it. I am not a computer noob, this wasn't a problem with v2. This all started with v3 when they want to get data back from the program (aka "cloud" features), probably to sell for more profit.

chad

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:26 pm

chad wrote:I haven't tried to reinstall, I assume it would be the same problem..

I downloaded slicer and printed my part that way. The bigger issue is the way the company handles things. I can tell you that I will not be recommending the software to any one, any more.

When I purchased it was way before v3. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew that it would be a login to use spyware app. As far as I am concerned they perpetrated a bait and switch.
I suspect that there are a lot of other people with this problem but they don't allow any negative comments on the form so you never know about it. I am not a computer noob, this wasn't a problem with v2. This all started with v3 when they want to get data back from the program (aka "cloud" features), probably to sell for more profit.

chad
You can reinstall V2.2 and run the two side-by-side. Maybe it will work without the authentication. (But first i would try re-installing 3 and see if it fixes it.)

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:47 pm

chad wrote:I haven't tried to reinstall, I assume it would be the same problem..

chad
I am wondering where you are getting the spyware aspect of this from? I have seen zero indication anywhere (not just the S3D forums) that there is spyware built into the software. A quick monitor of the program running using ethereal shows no packets being sent back to the servers.

In no way is this a bait and switch. A bait and switch would be if they promised free updates and then started to charge a subscription service for the updates. This is at worst a bad piece of licensing. It is not, however, unusual in software looking to protect itself from piracy.
Additionally the change added a number of features that people had been requesting, not the least of which is the ability to take your profiles from one place to another simply by signing in.

I ask again - did you check your S3D account at their website? Do you see the machine in question under the devices section.