Beware of bootleg copies of AutoCad 2016

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Jules

Re: Beware of bootleg copies of AutoCad 2016

Post by Jules » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:10 am

Vandal968 wrote:FYI, for anyone that would like to use AutoCad but not pay for it. Dassault makes a program called DraftSight which is a perfect AutoCad clone and it's free. In fact, I think it's better than the current AutoCad which has become absurdly large and bloated over the years. Even the keyboard shortcuts are identical, no need to pirate the real thing. You can download it here:

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/d ... -download/

HTH.

cheers,
c
Thanks for this! I'm going to try a copy. :)

Rara

Post by Rara » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:12 am

Likewise!! Thank you for sharing! :D
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:36 am

I can tell you that Draftsight is so much like AutoCAD its scary. I could open files from 1992 that I still had around and SAVE to the new formats when needed. But I got tired of the annoying emails and the nagging to purchase the upgrade to Pro, I ended up with QCAD that you can actually pay either 37 USD for the download or use the rather limited trial or community version for free.
The big plus for me anyway with QCAD is it can Export SVG files (plus all the rest of the common DXF ) and that is a big deal for me not only for the 3D printer but the Laser. It can also read and write standard ACAD files, just like DraftSight.
Last edited by wmgeorge on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

Rara

Post by Rara » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:40 am

I'll have to remember to sign up with a dummy email account, hah. These software companies are TERRIBLE, I'm never giving one my real phone number again..I asked one company for a quote, and after it was several thousands of dollars more than I had hoped, I told them I'm super small time and just couldn't afford it, not by a long shot. But they still call me several times a month. :roll:
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:57 am

Rara wrote:I'll have to remember to sign up with a dummy email account, hah. These software companies are TERRIBLE, I'm never giving one my real phone number again..I asked one company for a quote, and after it was several thousands of dollars more than I had hoped, I told them I'm super small time and just couldn't afford it, not by a long shot. But they still call me several times a month. :roll:
Let me guess was the first name Bob and the last CAD? They never give up!
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

Rara

Post by Rara » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:19 am

No, not them actually; but BobCAD's reputation for that may be more well known than what their software actually does! :lol:
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:28 am

MagicEngineer wrote: This is good to know. Is there any chance that it can open AutoCad's dwg files?
Yes, it natively works with DWG files and can do DXF, etc. It truly is a perfect ACAD clone. Also, I've been using it for a few months and I've never gotten a nagging email from them or been contacted in any way.

cheers,
c

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:52 am

haha bob cad. my buddy has that. got it some years back. he ended up telling them he was small as well. one man show so they kept calling him back and the price got lower each time. dont remember what he ended up paying for it but i remember the discount was like 90%. couple hundred bucks maybe. they were like a used car dealer.

Rara

Post by Rara » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:59 am

Well..that is interesting. They did ask a couple times, "well what is your budget then?" but I didn't even attempt to haggle, thinking they were talking maybe they'd knock 10% off, tops. I might have to be really honest and see what happens. :D
2012 M2 V4-PTFE