Anyone using Mattercontrol?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
helifrek

Anyone using Mattercontrol?

Post by helifrek » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:42 pm

While browsing around I found something called the Mattercontrol Touch which is an Android tablet running a mobile version of mattercontrol. I have been looking at Astroprint and octoprint for awhile but had never heard of mattercontrol, and the touch allows you to slice and print remotely. I have never used mattercontrol before, I just downloaded it to give it a go but wanted to see if anyone else had experience with it before I tried it!
I have Simplify3D right now and I love it but I really need the ability to monitor prints remotely and I am not sure which the best route to take is.

Thanks
Brandon

PcS

Re: Anyone using Mattercontrol?

Post by PcS » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:18 pm

I have tried matter control . I found it to be good software but if you have simplify 3d you already have the best IMHO. I try everything I can get my hands on BTW. Octoprint IMHO is also the best for monitoring prints remotely and controlling them. It is low in cost easy to setup .

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:15 pm

I tried to use octoprint on a Raspi at one point in time but I could never quite get it figured out. I wanted to be able to check on my printer remotely via a webcam and have the ability to turn the printer off remotely if a print was to fail. Slicing remotely and starting a print remotely isn't as big of a deal to me.

I love S3D but if I was to get that mattercontrol touch, I would want to get a little familiar with mattercontrol. Also I read up on the automatic/manual be leveling where you can use a piece of paper (if you don't have sensors installed) to be able to kind of get auto bed leveling, which in my case I have a low spot in my glass which would hopefully help out that issue.

Could you share a little on your octoprint setup. I think my issue was something to do with a static IP or something and setting up some sort of home network, I can't remember but it was above my head! I am trying to keep things fairly simple and go with the plug and play stuff just because I don't have time to work on stuff like I used to. At least not for another year.....

Thanks

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:17 pm

If all you want to do is to observe and be able to stop a bad print, I am using a super simple setup that might work for you. I have two webcams pointed at my printer from two different angles so I can see a close up of the print bed and a wide view so I can see the filament spool. I use a free ivideon.com account (free for up to two cameras) to stream so I can see my printer from any location on my cell or a computer. Latency is only about a second.

Next, I use a Belkin Wemo switch which I can also control from any location via my cell phone. If something has gone wrong, I can shut the printer off and fix it when I get back.

I bought a Raspi and will get it set up eventually, but in the meantime, this allows me to run quick errands while a long print is running. I try not to leave the printer running unattended, but sometimes you need to leave for a quick trip to the store or something. The total cost was about $40.

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:03 am

I might have to do that, the more simple the better. I currently have my security camera on my printer for when I need to make a quick trip. I do have a remote power switch with my security system but the amperage rating is too low to use with the printer.

I do have a few Webcams laying around..... will have to make a mount!

lem

Post by lem » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:15 pm

You could use your low amperage switch to control a higher powered solid state relay.

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:30 pm

Do you have any links to what you are talking about, specifically how I would go about wiring one up? Also, I usually wait until the machine cools down before turning it off. Is it safe to just kill the power during a print? I worry too much.....