SolidWorks Experts?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Jules

SolidWorks Experts?

Post by Jules » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:26 am

Any of you experts care to identify yourselves so i can bug the living kaka out of you for the next few months? :lol:

My kid brother, (who never amounted to anything with the exception of being one of the country's top Mohs surgeons, world traveler, gifted marble and metal sculptor in his spare time/artist/jazz bass player/father of three...you know, a real low energy type), was actually paying attention when i told him earlier this year that i would love to have a copy of SolidWorks, but that i couldn't justify the full priced version. (He's a vet, and qualifies for that discount.)

Damned if the little stinker didn't give me a copy for Christmas.....I'm astounded he took the time to get it, given everything he's got going on!

(And I think i scared him when i yelled! :lol:)

And Jin, I owe you thanks for posting that pdf with the instructions and link to the veteran's discount too! :D

jprochnow

Re: SolidWorks Experts?

Post by jprochnow » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:36 am

I pretty well versed in the software. Been using it for over 5 years and have almost every certification that solidworks has. If you would like to ask some questions please pm me and I can give you my contact number/email.

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:46 am

Youtube has a bunch for easy to follow tutorials that are good for learning the basics and I think there is a SW forum too. Most of the time I get stuck just google what I'm trying to do and it usually points me in the right direction to learn what I need to do.

Overall though the easiest way to learn is the hands on approach... just pick something and try to model it. Start with simple things that might be laying around, a pen on your desk, a battery, that lamp in the corner, etc. You'll learn a lot out of necessity. :D

-Steve

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:48 am

If you would like to ask some questions please pm me and I can give you my contact number/email.
Thank you very kindly! I will try not to abuse it. (And you won't hear anything from me for quite a while anyway ....I plan to go do the usual search for tutorials and documentation before tackling it.) :D
Last edited by Jules on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:54 am

sthone wrote:Youtube has a bunch for easy to follow tutorials that are good for learning the basics and I think there is a SW forum too. Most of the time I get stuck just google what I'm trying to do and it usually points me in the right direction to learn what I need to do.

Overall though the easiest way to learn is the hands on approach... just pick something and try to model it. Start with simple things that might be laying around, a pen on your desk, a battery, that lamp in the corner, etc. You'll learn a lot out of necessity. :D

-Steve
Oh good! I was hoping for some stuff to get started with! I'm glad YouTube has tuts on it - i was afraid it might be priced out of the range of most users. (Usually my first stop!) Thanks Steve! :D