Is there any way to continue a print after simplify3d quits?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Farr0wn3d

Is there any way to continue a print after simplify3d quits?

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:21 am

This is the 4th time that I have accidentally exited S3D during a very long print because I meant to quit another program. I cannot believe that a program of this nature wouldnt at least have a warning when you're about to quit during a print.

Anyway, is there any way to resume a print after something like this happens? or after a power outage or something?

willnewton

Re: Is there any way to continue a print after simplify3d qu

Post by willnewton » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:32 am

FFF settings/Advanced/Layer Modifications/Start printing at height X.XX mm
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:23 am

while this will work, how do you home the z axis when theres a build on the plate that hits the top before the switch is tripped?

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:36 pm

If you left the machine running you do not need to home it. Change start at height and omit homing g-code from start up script !

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:29 pm

I have done this a couple times myself. I usually remove the print, measure the height of it then drop the model on the table in s3d by that amount. I can then pri t the remaining part and i solvent bond them together when done.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:11 am

is there a command that I can send to prevent the stepper time-out? usually I'm so fucking stunned at what I've done that the steppers time out before I get my wits about me enough to do something about my predicament

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:01 am

That is all set in the firmware. Im not sure if there is an m command you can send.

dansuperman

Post by dansuperman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:16 pm

Farr0wn3d wrote:This is the 4th time that I have accidentally exited S3D during a very long print because I meant to quit another program. I cannot believe that a program of this nature wouldnt at least have a warning when you're about to quit during a print.

Anyway, is there any way to resume a print after something like this happens? or after a power outage or something?
I second this, I've done this twice already. I'm sure many people have done as well. Simplify 3d, you guys can save yourselves and your users a headache by adding that feature. "warning: closing Simplify 3d will end your print job."

I've done it twice and it led me here. I'm stupid, but I'm happy to say I'm in great company with you guys as well as simplify 3d for now having that feature.

I guess 3d printing is the cutting edge of technology but in reality, that doesn't immune us from stupidity. LOL Guilty here.