Printing one part at a time?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
24bball24

Printing one part at a time?

Post by 24bball24 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:28 pm

How do I make the 3d printer focus on one part instead of moving everywhere

Jules

Re: Securing your bed: Binder clips, none, or other?

Post by Jules » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:40 pm

24bball24 wrote:How do I make the 3d printer focus on one part instead of moving everywhere
Just put one part on the plate. :D

Seriously, the machine prints by layers, so it has to finish one layer for all the parts that you have on the plate before it moves up to the next layer.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:58 am

Jules wrote:the machine prints by layers, so it has to finish one layer for all the parts that you have on the plate before it moves up to the next layer.
Simplify3D does have an option to print each object on the plate in turn. You have to supply the various clearances around the nozzle so that it doesn't collide with any part that it has already printed. I have not tried it, but I can see where it could come in handy. I've had several prints where I wanted to get multiple parts done in one go but had to do a lot of separate prints because it was stringing too much as it moved between objects, or if it's not a stringy filament, still sometimes it will create a visible flaw on each object where it changes directions from the perimeter to move to another object.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:05 am

Tim wrote:
Jules wrote:the machine prints by layers, so it has to finish one layer for all the parts that you have on the plate before it moves up to the next layer.
Simplify3D does have an option to print each object on the plate in turn. You have to supply the various clearances around the nozzle so that it doesn't collide with any part that it has already printed. I have not tried it, but I can see where it could come in handy. I've had several prints where I wanted to get multiple parts done in one go but had to do a lot of separate prints because it was stringing too much as it moved between objects, or if it's not a stringy filament, still sometimes it will create a visible flaw on each object where it changes directions from the perimeter to move to another object.
Huh!...Really? Did not know that! (Mind blown! :shock: )

Where is it hiding? :lol:

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:13 am

Jules wrote:Where is it hiding?
I forget, and I'm not where I have access to S3D at the moment. I'll look it up when I get back home if somebody else doesn't come up with it first. The setting is called "Sequential printing" in S3D, if I recall correctly.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:19 am

Tim wrote:
Jules wrote:Where is it hiding?
I forget, and I'm not where I have access to S3D at the moment. I'll look it up when I get back home if somebody else doesn't come up with it first. The setting is called "Sequential printing" in S3D, if I recall correctly.
Print islands sequentially without optimization? (Layers tab) Never knew what that was for...good to know. :D

PcS

Re: Printing one part at a time?

Post by PcS » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:20 am

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tuto ... -printing/

Easier to read for yourself...that and I am feeling lazy tonight.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:34 am

Cowabunga dudes! :D

(Not sure it would work too well with the dual, but there's definitely potential.) :mrgreen:

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:39 am

I knew somebody would get to it before I got home!
Jules wrote:(Not sure it would work too well with the dual, but there's definitely potential.)
There's a drawing on the S3D page that definitely says, in the universal language of the big red circle with a slash through it, that it doesn't work with dual extruders. A z-probe attached to the extruder would work but would be very limiting, as you would have to tell it that it has only about 1mm of vertical clearance. But, hey, 5 layers at a time is better than 1.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:54 am

Tim wrote:I knew somebody would get to it before I got home!
Jules wrote:(Not sure it would work too well with the dual, but there's definitely potential.)
There's a drawing on the S3D page that definitely says, in the universal language of the big red circle with a slash through it, that it doesn't work with dual extruders. A z-probe attached to the extruder would work but would be very limiting, as you would have to tell it that it has only about 1mm of vertical clearance. But, hey, 5 layers at a time is better than 1.
Yeah, saw that, but i was thinking i could maybe pull one of the nozzles up out of the way?.....Something to consider if I ever need to print a bed full of stocking stuffers again. :D