simplify3d whine thread

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
insta

simplify3d whine thread

Post by insta » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:40 am

whine

whine

Why are the print settings so inconsistently stored between profile / filament / quality?
Why can't I specify a speed per filament, or a speed per quality?
Why can't I call their slicing engine programatically and pass it in a giant wad of settings?

whine
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ericthered

Re: simplify3d whine thread

Post by ericthered » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:10 pm

Would you like some cheese to go with that? ;)

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:44 pm

I ran into your first two issues when I was in the business of hacking up FFF files by hand. Some settings would only be paid attention to in a material context, others only in the quality context. When the new version came in, I was going to make a big list of what setting goes under what dimension, but grew lazy and just learned to live with it and always do a quick scan through all the tabs after changing the drop downs. I think the main change that always seems to be wrong is speed, but I fixed that by just printing everything at the same slow PETG speed.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:54 pm

I seriously gave up on the freaky Auto-Configure settings a loooong time ago. Now i just set up profiles for the individual filaments, with the name in the title, and I export 'em that way, so i can't accidentally overwrite them. (sigh!) :|

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Jules wrote:I seriously gave up on the freaky Auto-Configure settings a loooong time ago. Now i just set up profiles for the individual filaments, with the name in the title, and I export 'em that way, so i can't accidentally overwrite them. (sigh!) :|
Yep - same. The only issue i have with a profile for each filament is that it doesn't seem to record the nozzle width/extrusion width. I like to have 0.25 and 0.40mm profiles but can't get them to have the nozzle diam stick.

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:19 pm

Jules wrote:I seriously gave up on the freaky Auto-Configure settings a loooong time ago. Now i just set up profiles for the individual filaments, with the name in the title, and I export 'em that way, so i can't accidentally overwrite them. (sigh!) :|
Wait there's auto settings? :shock: I though you were suppose to set up for each individual roll. (Hell I even have one set up for different bed adhesions (that might be a little overkill though.)
Bratag wrote:Yep - same. The only issue i have with a profile for each filament is that it doesn't seem to record the nozzle width/extrusion width. I like to have 0.25 and 0.40mm profiles but can't get them to have the nozzle diam stick.
I have ones set up for different nozzles with different extrusion widths. (maybe I should double check mine :?) are you saving them "as New" or updating the old ones?

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:45 pm

in 3 years i have never used those auto configure settings. dont even know how to use them and dont care to either. bratag, im not sure why you have an issue with the nozzle dia size and ext width. those store fine for me. i generally have a single process per plastic per nozzle dia. abs .4 and abs .5 for instance. i can load either one and the nozzle dia and width follows. from those 2 profiles it only takes a sec for me to run through and make a couple changes depending on what my layer height is so i never saw any point to auto anything in s3d. once you know s3d and how it reacts with the m2 then you should be able to go through and configure for each print no problem. for a new m2 owner though its a different story so i do understand why auto is there. in the beginning i just found that there are too many settings that cant be auto set because every roll of filament is different.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:53 pm

insta wrote:whine
:lol: :lol: Hah, if we are whining for fun, I'd throw in something about accurate S3D print times. :lol: :lol:

I have a profile setting for each filament genre, PLA,PLA+,PETG,Ninjerflex,Semiflex,ePC, etc. OK, I do have one setting for PLA lithophanes, because it is so different from a normal print, but that's it.

I change settings on the fly as needed for each print. I don't bother with factory files because I seldom repeat a print. I have never used the autoconfigure. I actually had to check and see what you guys were talking about. ;)
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites