Raspberry Pi WiFi Setup

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jimc

Re: Octoprint LED Boot Sequence

Post by jimc » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:58 pm

The blue led blinks when its transmitting. Not necessarily when its connected. It could be trying to connect and it will blink. This is all the same problems i had. My network is totally open so that gave me an issue. Ill try and look at my network settings tonight and let you know what i have written in those 2 files. I just unplug my pi.

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:15 am

If you can get it working octoprint has an optional user downloaded plug in to shut itself down at print end.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:38 am

I guess it is the SD card that can have problems if you just cut the power to it all the time, depending on what it is doing when the power is cut. With a backup SD at least you could recover from it.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:42 am

yeah thats why once i got everything working good i made a disk image and keep it on my pc so i dont ever have to mess with the wifi again.

i was going to look at the settings or even give you the image but its really not going to work for you since your on a wep network and i am on an open one. im not sure what the supplicant file should have written in there for your setup. i can give it to you anyway if you want. just let me know

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:56 am

this may help you. i forgot i used this with the pi2.

go in the command line and do each one of these command one at a time.let each one complete before to run the next. this will install a wifi configuration tool on the pi. run it and see if it gets you going.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wicd-curses
sudo wicd-curses

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:22 pm

After sudo apt-get update. Run sudo apt-get upgrade. Then the rest. The upgrade may help.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:57 pm

Do those commands need an internet connection to work? I'd have to hook up the ethernet I guess if that is the case.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Yes

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Got it working finally. Holy CRAP that was painful! I don't know how many hours I wasted on that but it was a LOT. After scouring countless how-to blogs and forum entries I finally found the correct settings burried at the bottom of some forum thread which had been posted to for over three years before the solution ever turned up!

So here it is... the correct settings to use if you have an old wireless router that is using WEP based security (widely accepted as almost as bad as no security):

The main error that kills everyone on this is using quotes around the WEP key in the supplicant file when your key is a hex number and not a string. Many examples do not specify if the SSID or key get quotes or not, because Linux geeks apparently think everyone should just know.

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
==============================
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#auto eth0 <-- commented out to reduce startup delay (remove # if you need to use ethernet)
#iface eth0 inet dhcp <-- commented out to reduce startup delay (remove # if you need to use ethernet)

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
=============================================
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
ssid="YOUR_SSID" <--- MUST USE QUOTES HERE!
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key0=YOUR_HEX_KEY <--- NO QUOTES HERE!
wep_tx_keyidx=0
priority=1
}

pyronaught

Re: Raspberry Pi WiFi Setup

Post by pyronaught » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:45 pm

Looks like you can just shut down the Pi from within Octoprint, so that looks like the way to go when turning it off. Shut it down there first before powering off the printer.