First Layer Settings/Simplyfy3D

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
RJD

First Layer Settings/Simplyfy3D

Post by RJD » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Is there a formula to follow to figure out optimal first layer settings (i.e., height, width, speed) in Simplyfy3D? I am utilizing .35mm extruder with .2 primary layer height. Beginner trying to learn the software. Thanks.

Jules

Re: First Layer Settings/Simplyfy3D

Post by Jules » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:51 pm

Yep, there sure is....i put it in the Beginner's Guides:

Set your Extrusion Width to be wider than your nozzle hole size, but less than the OD of the flat face on that nozzle. (This gives the machine correct control over placement of the thread.)
(Ex: For a 0.35 mm nozzle, the correct range is from 0.35 mm to 0.50 mm – so use 0.40 mm)

Set your Layer Height according to the following formula :
Extrusion Width/Layer Height is greater than or equal to 1.8

In the example, with a layer height of 0.20 mm the formula reads 0.40/0.20 = 2.0 which is greater than 1.8.
You could also use 0.50/0.25 = 2.0, or 0.36/0.20 = 1.8. The reason for this is to give a slightly squashed layer to give better adhesion, and layer bonding. Any ratio that comes out below 1.8 is going to start causing adhesion and bonding problems.

(And if math isn't your thing - just set your layer height to be half of extrusion width.) :D

RJD

Post by RJD » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 am

I was referring to the percentages for the first layer settings as illustrated in the following link. Where are the numbers that you are describing supposed to be put in? Thanks.

https://www.simplify3d.com/wp-content/u ... AM.png.jpg

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:30 am

Sorry - those are the Extrusion Width number on the Extruder tab, and the Layer Height number on the Layer tab.

The first layer height and width percentages on the screen print you showed are set at 100%, (if you have your machine set up correctly), and then left alone. People who do not have the M2 Rev. E machines can use them to adjust the amount of extruded plastic to get a better bonding to the plate, but that amount is different for each person who uses the machine and is determined through trial and error. There are no charts of recommended values for it.

The speed percentage is, again, up to you. Lower speeds help the first layer to bond better if you are having trouble getting the first layer to stick, or if you are printing small circles, which have forces acting on them that cause them to not catch as well. (Ed has a good write-up on it.) Basically, if something isn't sticking, try slowing down the print.

RJD

Post by RJD » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:38 am

Thank you Jules. Your help is appreciated!

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:54 am

My pleasure! :)