change filling factor in some regions

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
boep777

change filling factor in some regions

Post by boep777 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:59 am

Hi everybody, how do you solve this type of problems:
I have a pedestal and a thin object coming out on sharp angle (for example a leg). I am printing with low infill.
Simplify3D algorithm makes the interface between pedestal and object using infill. Which is correct, but very weak and frequently broken.
So it would be cool to say to software to make solid fill around the area. But such an option does not exist - what would you do ?
Thanx!

jsc

Re: change filling factor in some regions

Post by jsc » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:51 am

The most common way to have different infill densities for different parts is to differentiate by layer. I don't think any current slicer allows you to set arbitrary densitives for different 3D areas. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tuto ... f-a-model/

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:41 am

jsc wrote:The most common way to have different infill densities for different parts is to differentiate by layer. I don't think any current slicer allows you to set arbitrary densitives for different 3D areas. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tuto ... f-a-model/
Slic3r will allow you to set arbitrary settings for specified areas. you do this by applying a Mesh Modifier.

-take your STL into a CAD software
-add an accompaning volume that describes the region that would follow a different set of rules
-in slicer, double click on the STL in question, load the modifier mesh and set the specific settings.

Photo toutorial with TinkerCAD and Slic3r:
m.PNG
Some Sample 3D model
m.PNG (139.52 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
mod.PNG
Add the volume that you want to modify
mod.PNG (155.33 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
modey.PNG
separate out the 3D model to save the modifier mesh
modey.PNG (146.99 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
slice.PNG
load in Slic3r and double click to get model specific options.
slice moder.PNG
Add Modifier mesh and set the specific settings

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:52 am

and finally the result:
slice mod.PNG
End result of applying the modifier mesh

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:38 am

I think you can do that in S3D as well, by portioning the design into parts before printing, and then assigning different Processes to each part. (No I've never tried it....jin could probably walk you through it.)