Slicing Issue?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
KeithA

Slicing Issue?

Post by KeithA » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:23 am

My daughter found something she wanted me to print on thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:283304. I was able to print 2 out of the 3 unsupported models without issue but when I tried to print the last I noticed a problem in the preview in simplify3D. The model has a gap in it just up from the bottom where most of the layer is missing and the layer above it and below are only connected by a few small areas. Can someone download the stl for this model and see if you experience the same issue (http://www.thingiverse.com/download:510031)? With the next question being wether or not there is something I can do to fix the issue. Any help is appreciated as she just cant understand why I cant make it happen :).

Thanks
Attachments
lamb.jpg
lamb.jpg (136.07 KiB) Viewed 9940 times

Toby

Re: Slicing Issue?

Post by Toby » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:27 am

Keith, I'm not seeing that gap when I slice it. I've attached the .fff file I used. I don't suggest to print the model with it, it just happens to be what I'm using at the moment for another project. If it slices correctly for you, you can adjust the settings and maybe figure out what the difference is.

Especially the speed would be too slow.
Attachments
twist.zip
(2.37 KiB) Downloaded 449 times

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:32 am

i ran it through netfabb and it does have a ton of issues but its completely repairable. your missing layer is not repaired though because its not really a model error. its just poor design. whats happening is that part of the model is so thin its down to 1 perimeter wall and it gets too thin for even a single pass by the printer. i switched my extrusion width to manual and set it to .35 and the missing layer goes away.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks, i tried adjusting the width to match what was in Toby's file and it went away just as jimc discovered. I will try to print it with this updated setting and will report back.

Thanks

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:00 pm

jimc wrote:i ran it through netfabb and it does have a ton of issues but its completely repairable. your missing layer is not repaired though because its not really a model error. its just poor design. whats happening is that part of the model is so thin its down to 1 perimeter wall and it gets too thin for even a single pass by the printer. i switched my extrusion width to manual and set it to .35 and the missing layer goes away.
Making the adjustment did the trick. How were you able to determine that the layer was so thin?

Thanks

Toby

Post by Toby » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:43 am

You can tell how thin the part is in the gcode preview in S3D. Just move your view to above, switch the mode from "Line" to "Layer" and pull the bottom slider towards the left. It'll show you the cross sections and you can see from that how many perimeters and how much infill will get printed at any given height.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:56 pm

Yes and its such a common occurance thats its usually the first thing i look for