i wrote a thing

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
insta

i wrote a thing

Post by insta » Wed May 11, 2016 4:42 am

So I got so fed up with Simplify3Ds terrible, abhorrent profile management that I wrote a script that just generates all possible permutations of nozzle, plastic, and layer height I want to run. It's got several things built in:

* sane layer heights per nozzle (0.35 -- .1, .18, .26 / 0.50 -- .18, .24, .30, etc)
* sane temperatures per plastic & nozzle -- fatter nozzles are spec'ed slightly cooler to prevent ooze
* sane speeds per plastic & layer height -- i modelled the "max flow rate" of each plastic (just pulled numbers from my ass). the script automatically generates slower layers when you go fatter layers so the nozzle can keep up.
* proper fan behavior per plastic
* dynamic retraction distance based on plastic and nozzle
* dynamic z-hop based on layer height

It builds all these, then shoves them straight into the registry where S3D keeps its settings. The idea is that, with very little exception, if I need to change something I'll update my script and rebuild my profiles. All my Z_OFFSET stuff I do on the machines directly with Viki & inductive probes.

I'd be happy to share the .reg file if anybody wants to drop my profiles straight in. The code itself is messy and few people have the software to run it (although i'd be happy to github it for collaboration ...?). It's written in C#. It generates, I think, 63 separate profiles?
s3d_defaults.png
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Re: i wrote a thing

Post by Jules » Wed May 11, 2016 5:00 am

Not sure I can use it because of the dual, but I'd like to see it anyway. (Sounds like a pure work of art.)

Which plastics do you have covered?

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed May 11, 2016 7:50 am

Be happy to give it a look over. Sounds pretty cool.

insta

Post by insta » Wed May 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Jules wrote:Not sure I can use it because of the dual, but I'd like to see it anyway. (Sounds like a pure work of art.)

That's the thing -- I can add dual support to the script and generate approximately eleventy shittillion profiles of all possible left/right permutations + nozzle sizes. Machines are WAY faster at that than humans.

Bratag -- what would you like? The .reg or the .cs?

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed May 11, 2016 8:25 pm

insta wrote:
Jules wrote:Not sure I can use it because of the dual, but I'd like to see it anyway. (Sounds like a pure work of art.)

That's the thing -- I can add dual support to the script and generate approximately eleventy shittillion profiles of all possible left/right permutations + nozzle sizes. Machines are WAY faster at that than humans.

Bratag -- what would you like? The .reg or the .cs?
Hit me with the .cs if you would please

thunderbt3

Post by thunderbt3 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:04 pm

I'd be interested in checking out the .reg file.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed May 11, 2016 10:29 pm

Me, too...dual and all. (With the teensiest of descriptions on how to load it....never done a .reg file. Does it go straight into the Registry?) :D

insta

Post by insta » Wed May 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Jules wrote:Me, too...dual and all. (With the teensiest of descriptions on how to load it....never done a .reg file. Does it go straight into the Registry?) :D
The .reg will blow away your entire config and replace it with itself...

But, yes, you just double-click and go.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed May 11, 2016 11:52 pm

:shock:
(Must remember....shoot system image first.)

If you want another tester, I'm game....I might not be able to get to it for a bit.
But it sounds unbelievably awesome! :P

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Thu May 12, 2016 3:41 am

I'm still being dumb with S3d and just poking through all the settings when changing things. About the closest I'm getting to saving a profile is loading a similar factory file and swapping out the STL files.

I'd be interested in seeing what you've got set up here - I'll be installing the dual shooter before long.