Customer offering to barter Solidworks '14 for print work...

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Farr0wn3d

Customer offering to barter Solidworks '14 for print work...

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat May 14, 2016 6:25 pm

I have a customer that I'm doing ongoing work for who purchased a licensed copy of solidworks for a summer intern to use but since the intern left after that summer the software has sat unused. He has offered it to me to try out and see if I like it and if I do then we can discuss an arrangement for how much I would credit him for design and print work.

I have no idea what an outdated copy of solidworks is worth, if anything. So I thought I would get the forums opinion on if this is a good transaction or not and what a fair value for the software would be for me. He has no use for it as is so I can probably get it for next to nothing compared to new price. I'm also wondering if 2 year old software is still relevant or if solidworks evolves quicker than that.

Any input would be awesome.

Slipshine

Re: Customer offering to barter Solidworks '14 for print wor

Post by Slipshine » Sat May 14, 2016 6:32 pm

The version I use is 8 years old.
So I would say very useable

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Sun May 15, 2016 12:59 pm

I use 2012 at work - it gets the job done.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun May 15, 2016 1:08 pm

As long as its not the education edition your prob ok. Edu edition is only good for 1 year

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun May 15, 2016 4:03 pm

any guess on what kind of credit I should offer for it? he suggested something around $900CAD but i'm thinking more like $500. Thoughts?

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun May 15, 2016 4:29 pm

You might want to try it out first and see if you even like it before deciding on the credit.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Also i could be mistaken but i believe to run solidworks you need to be registered with them so your acct matches the lic# for the software. Just make sure all of that is transferrable to you with no problem.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun May 15, 2016 11:46 pm

Thats a good point Jim, I'll have to look into that.

Jules, he's giving me the discs and license and wants me to try it with no obligation to see if its my thing or not so no worries there. I did want to get a feel for the value of it beforehand though just because if its too much then theres really no point in even trying it if the price makes it out of reach.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon May 16, 2016 12:13 am

Farr0wn3d wrote:Thats a good point Jim, I'll have to look into that.

Jules, he's giving me the discs and license and wants me to try it with no obligation to see if its my thing or not so no worries there. I did want to get a feel for the value of it beforehand though just because if its too much then theres really no point in even trying it if the price makes it out of reach.
Fresh Solidworks runs in the "hand over your first born" range......(Well over $1000, but I can't remember exactly how much over....I remember laughing like a loon at what they wanted for it, and deciding on Rhino as the cheaper alternative at $800, when I priced them last year.)

Unless.....it's the Solidworks Student Edition ($150 or so US). And I don't think it changes much from year to year, capabilities wise. It really just depends on whether he's giving you the Student Edition or not.

Not much help. You can get a free quote on what the current Solidworks packages go for and compare that at the Solidworks site.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon May 16, 2016 12:23 am

i havent looked it up in a long time but i think SW is around $4-5k. the education edition os the way to go if you can. if your a military vet you can get if for free. $20 shipping for the disc actually. i got mine that way. unfortunately i was learning rhino at the time and didnt want to get things confused learning 2 cad programs at once so i never really did anything with it.