Multiple processes simplify 3d

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jsc

Re: Multiple processes simplify 3d

Post by jsc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:29 am

Oh, yes, I see what you're arguing, and yes, I agree 100% with everything you say. I was just talking about how to set up a process break in S3D: if you want a separate process for, say, layer 4+, you need to stop process 1 at, say, .6mm and start process 2 at .6 (not .8). That's all.

I will add that when I calibrate Z to give perfect height calibration cubes, homing Z does not end up with the nozzle exactly touching the bed, though. Don't understand why that is.

ednisley

Re: Multiple processes simplify 3d

Post by ednisley » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:32 pm

I thought we were having a violent agreement... [grin]

The trick is avoiding pesky off-by-one errors while counting: first layer starts at Z=0.00 and ends at Z=0.20, the second starts at 0.20 and ends at 0.40, and so forth and so on. Around here, I must draw pictures.
jsc wrote:homing Z does not end up with the nozzle exactly touching the bed
After all the gee-ing and haw-ing, I determine the final Z offset adjustment by measuring a few thinwall squares. That offset, usually slightly different from what I read from that taper gauge, makes the first layer of printed objects come out right with everything at operating temperature and that's what matters.