SpaceClaim

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
dklassen

SpaceClaim

Post by dklassen » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:44 pm

Been looking at different packages for a long time. My favorite go to has been DesignSpark thus far. SpaceClaim 2016 is pretty impressive with their new reverse engineering tools especially what they call their skin tool. I have the 3D printing and scanning parts down pretty well now so I'm looking to bridge the gab with new capabilities. I'm no engineer but I like the idea of expanding my skill set and adding to my capabilities. I think it's time to pull the trigger next week. Isn't easy to cut loose that kind of money for a software package that's for sure. My wife says REALLY? for a piece of software! Can't you just find one for $49 somewhere? I wish.

Tim

Re: SpaceClaim

Post by Tim » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:02 pm

You have to pay to support their legal fees for having lawyers to protect them against claims for their reverse engineering other people's IP.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:06 pm

Not exactly sure what that means.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Oh, mostly just kidding. But software that does any kind of reverse engineering can get a company into litigation. I was suggesting that they charge more for their software because they have to pay a lot of lawyers to cover their butts. Kidding aside, though, you're right on. There are lots of free and cheap 3D design software packages out there, but there is a clear gap in features, functions, speed of processing, and ease of use between those and the ones that cost real money.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Ah, indeed. Always amazed me that a top tier package like Photoshop that most professional shops use is $600 but you start looking at CAD packages and all of a sudden you are in the 3k + range. I could be wrong but I don't see a package like SpaceClaim or Solidworks being any more sophisticated under the covers. Who knows maybe they are. None the less, I want the features and reverse engineering tools so I guess you gotta pay for it. DesignSpark and SpaceClaim are the only one's I've tried that allowed me as a non engineer to jump right in and start doing stuff with out an enormous learning curve.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:48 pm

I really liked DesignSpark when I was using it. It's really being positioned by RS as something to make enclosures with, though, and by SpaceClaim as a gateway drug to the hard stuff. I was annoyed when they removed the Loft tool as too good of something to throw in for free.

I like the direct modeling approach as very easy to get into, but you end up having to push/pull everything just so to get the dimensions right. With a parametric modeler like Fusion 360, you can just go back to the sketch you started with and adjust some dimensions/constraints and have everything rebuild. Drawing a proper sketch that works properly when you go back to edit it is a learned skill, though, and takes some practice. DesignSpark is like a super powerful scientific calculator; Fusion 360 is more like a spreadsheet.

The feature recovery in SpaceClaim is tempting, but not $2500 tempting. Let us know how you like it.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:39 pm

I've been using an eval license they provided so I know I already like it. It's the only package I've found that as a novice I can actually accomplish things with right from the get go. The new reverse engineering tools are awesome. The price stings a little but I guess if you want the capabilities you gotta pay for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-g4zJ6huOo

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:23 am

looking at a couple videos. it seems like a cross between solidworks and rhino. kinda interesting. i dont see any prices anywhere for this. out of curiosity, what are they getting for a license?

nvm, i googled it and came up with 2495.00. education lic is 50 bucks though for the year.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:39 pm

That's about right + the yearly maintenance which isn't mandatory after the first year unless you want continued support and free upgrades. They have some discounts going the month of June so around $2700 total. Full retail is about $3300. Solidworks I believe is around 5k + 1300 per year.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:59 pm

Finally got my SpaceClaim lic today. Guess I'm all in now.