Dragging - Tracks

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
KeithA

Dragging - Tracks

Post by KeithA » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:06 am

I am trying to work through an issue I am having with some prints. The nozzle is continuing to feed a small amount of filament when the head moves from and end point to a start point. I have tried fixing this using help I received from a previous post. It still remains and seems to have gotten worse. Does this change with different filament colors? I am also noticing that the tip slightly drags on a move as well. I have rechecked my bed to verify it is level and it seems to be. Can someone share the settings they use to minimize these items?

Thanks

jimc

Re: Dragging - Tracks

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:13 am

are you using abs or pla?

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:15 am

jimc wrote:are you using abs or pla?
I am using PLA.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:26 am

alright its normal for the nozzle on a rare occasion to very lightly drag over the model and leave a light line. if it happens alot or excessively then your extruding too much plastic. your excessive oozing will be reduced when you get that under control. too much plastic being extruded makes higher pressures in the hot end which gets released during a jump. coasting distance will help relieve pressure before the end of a line by stopping extrusion a distance before a jump. i dont do alot of pla printing so my process could probably use some fine tuning but here are my settings.

retraction 2mm
vertical lift .15
ret speed 3000
coasting 1.4mm
temp 210c

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:29 pm

I recently had an issue with drooling during moves. It was visibly extruding a small amount during rapid travel, leaving strings and little filament tails everywhere. The issue turned out to be mechanical, there was too little command authority on retract; tightening the tension screw fixed it up. You may also want to dismount the extruder and check that the extruder gear set screw has not come loose. There should be very little play in the extruder gear if you wiggle it with your fingers. If you have a mechanical issue, no amount of fiddling with print settings is going to help.