Build Time

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
KeithA

Build Time

Post by KeithA » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:08 pm

I have noticed that the Build Time that Simplify3D gives after the stl is sliced is way off. The latest example is a model I just printed. The software estimated the time at 6 hours, it has been over 8 and it is still printing with 10 percent to go. Is there anything I can do about the estimate or is this a known issue? I will browse their forum to see if there are any postings pertaining to this but I thought I would ask here too.

Thanks

jimc

Re: Build Time

Post by jimc » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:23 pm

No all the software can do is estimate. There is no active feedback that will give accurate times. It all has to do with your firmware settings. If you slow down your accelleration for example then there is no way for s3d to know that. Your estimate is actually closr than mine. An 8hr estimate is usually a 12-13hrs

Toby

Post by Toby » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:05 pm

I've noticed that when I print a lot of similar objects, the size of the gcode file is often a good indicator of print time. That is, if a 1 MB gcode file printed at 40 minutes, then a 1.5 MB gcode file will print at 60 minutes.

In the general case, if you're printing off the SD card what you can do is use the "SD Card Status" button in S3D to check the print after some time. It will tell you (in the communication window) how many bytes of the total have been printed. So, if you check it after 30 minutes and it says 1MB out of 10 MB have been printed, you can estimate the total print time at 5 hours.

Just be careful not to click on any of the nearby buttons, like "Pause Current SD Print".

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. I do in fact have the acceleration tuned down so it makes sense.

Thanks

Toby

Post by Toby » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:22 pm

I haven't noticed acceleration changes having much effect on actual build time. The one print I had where S3D's estimate was way off seemed to be caused by a z-lift not be accounted for.