EAA offers solidworks to its members

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
MikeA

EAA offers solidworks to its members

Post by MikeA » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:10 pm

The EAA (experimental aircraft association) now has an agreement with solidworks to let its members use solidworks free of charge for their personal use. Membership is $40 year and you will also get their magazine which is usually pretty good.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and- ... solidworks

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membershi ... rce-center

dklassen

Re: EAA offers solidworks to its members

Post by dklassen » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:56 pm

Tempting. Too bad the student version is so crippled but I might join just to check it out. SpaceClaim is my weapon of choice. Course it was a lot more than $40. Might be worth it just to be able to open SW files and export them to STEP... if you can do that in the student version.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:06 am

Might be worth looking in to.....I've been playing with Fusion 360 and it's a powerful little program. (Tried the Student version of Solidworks and didn't have enough time to figure it out before it expired on me.)

jcspball13

Post by jcspball13 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:58 am

Im not sure how crippled the student version is really; I have solidworks, but may get this for my daughter!

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Thanks for the tip. I sent this along to our STEM teacher, maybe some of our students will take advantage of it.

I for one am happy with Fusion 360, and I'm afraid to get waist deep in learning a new CAD environment.

thunderbt3

Post by thunderbt3 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:00 pm

jcspball13 wrote:Im not sure how crippled the student version is really; I have solidworks, but may get this for my daughter!
When I used the student version of Solidworks (about 10 yrs ago), all the features were available to us. FEA (linear & non-linear),CFD, and thermal analysis were also available, but I don't remember if they set a limit on the number of element when meshing. When printing drawings from the student version, the drawings were watermarked with something stating it was from the student version.

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:14 pm

EAA has a special running on memberships right now 26 dollars . I installed the SOLIDWORKS student edition for that price and as far as I can tell it does not look to be crippled. One screen said liscence good till 2025....Another said 2018. Good deal either way.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:50 pm

I think I am going to take advantage of this. I love Fusion 360 but I am always interested in learning something new. That being said I feel kind of guilty as I have zero interest in experimental aircraft ... wish I could gift the magazine portion to someone who would get use of it.

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:58 pm

Well....I think drone interest might count !!! At least that's my excuse.