SIMPLIFY 3D SOFTWARE LICENSE SERVERS DOWN ????

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
TheRyanRanch

SIMPLIFY 3D SOFTWARE LICENSE SERVERS DOWN ????

Post by TheRyanRanch » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:04 am

This is exactly why I despise ONLINE COMPUTING !!!!!!

IS there a Standalone Software Package that will run the MAKERGEAR ???????

ednisley

Re: SIMPLIFY 3D SOFTWARE LICENSE SERVERS DOWN ????

Post by ednisley » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:41 pm

TheRyanRanch wrote:IS there a Standalone Software Package that will run the MAKERGEAR ???????
I've been using OpenSCAD to build my models, Slic3r to produce G-Code, and Printrun/Pronterface to drive the printer since Day Zero, all running on various Linux boxes. All Free Software, in both cost and freedom.

It took a bit of effort to figure out how to put all that together, but I have complete control over all the pieces.

You can configure Slic3r and Printrun to work as a one-click model-to-printer solution, but, because I spend far more time adjusting the model (and sometimes the slicing parameters) to produce the proper result than I do printing, I tend to Fire the M2 only on the final G-Code version.

The bonus: when something breaks, I have all the pieces and can put it back together again...

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm on the same boat as Ed, Im 2+ years in with the M2 and the school I originally started with didn't want to fork out for a S3D license if they didn't have to. So I learned and now I don't necessarily see the need to spend $130 for software that is just a bit better than what I use. The main downfall is that it seems that Slic3r has been dropped from support for about a year now.

I use Fusion 360 for my 3D modeling if you're looking for some other quality 3D software.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:46 pm

Matt_Sharkey wrote:Slic3r has been dropped from support for about a year now
AFAICT, real (i.e., paying) work intruded on Alessandro's spare time early this year, but he's been hammering away at the backlog for a few months.

Somebody could fork the Slic3r project and carry on with it (*), which is one major benefit of Free Software. I have decades of work locked up in dead proprietary programs from defunct companies. Most of it's not worth retrieving, although I do miss a few odds & ends.

(*) That rarely happens, because all slicing programs start when someone says "Slicing programs are too complicated. I'll write a simple slicer!" Fast forward three years and the program has more options than fit on a tabbed interface. Witness KISSlicer, Cura, S(implify)3D ...

[Edit: formatting.]

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Matt_Sharkey wrote:.....I use Fusion 360 for my 3D modeling if you're looking for some other quality 3D software.
+1 :)

insta

Post by insta » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:47 pm

TheRyanRanch wrote:This is exactly why I despise ONLINE COMPUTING !!!!!!

IS there a Standalone Software Package that will run the MAKERGEAR ???????
The "out of the box" settings for Slic3r + RepetierHost produce non-crappy results on the M2. Simplify3D is still *better*, but you can use things sliced with slic3r. I still do occasionally.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:08 am

ednisley wrote:Somebody could fork the Slic3r project and carry on with it
There's nothing I enjoy more than taking abandoned open source software and revitalizing it. I should look into this. . .

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Tim wrote:taking abandoned open source software and revitalizing it. I should look into this. . .
Heh. You're one of the (few) folks who could do that; it'd keep you off the streets at night, too. [grin]

I meant "somebody could" in the "it is possible" sense: the source code is available for inspection / reuse / correction / whatever by anybody with sufficient motivation. IIRC, Ultimaker paid for a fair chunk of Slic3r's recent improvements and, in the CNC world, Tormach hired programmer(s) to work on LinuxCNC's motion planner.

With, e.g., S3D, the source code is their Secret Sauce: when they decide they've had enough fun, that's the end of the story.