G Code

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
lightb

G Code

Post by lightb » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi,
I'm pretty new to the 3D printing world. I am using Slic3r to export g code. I had all the settings working correctly. The IT guy reset something on my computer and all the settings in Slic3r are reset also. I think I have all the settings back to what I need them to be; however, I cannot get the bed to lift for printing. I am using the same gcode that I used before the reset. When I try to print a new file it won't lift the bed but when I print an old file that I printed before the reset it is fine. I've tried copying that gcode, but it still doesn't lift the bed. Any thoughts or suggestions?

ednisley

Re: G Code

Post by ednisley » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:02 pm

lightb wrote:The IT guy reset something on my computer
Ouch! If both the PC and the printer are work-related, then you definitely need to get the IT folks on board, because the printer configuration can't withstand broadside attacks.

If IT is doing its collective job, then they should be able to restore the Slic3r config files from the most recent backup or, at least, help you compare the before-and-after files. The manual gives a hint as to where Slic3r puts the config files:
http://manual.slic3r.org/configuration- ... ganization

I don't know where Windows puts those files (I run Linux), but if you (and the IT folks) can figure out where they are now, then they can look in the same place in the most recent backup.
cannot get the bed to lift for printing
If the Z-axis makes horrible noises instead of moving, then the G-Code is (probably) commanding it to move at a higher speed than it can handle.
using the same gcode that I used before the reset
Slic3r (and all other slicing programs) adds a chunk of G-Code at the beginning of the sliced model and another at the end to handle printer startup and shutdown. You'll find those in the Printer Settings -> Custom G-Code tab (in Expert mode, IIRC). Make sure those two blocks haven't changed; the lines you want will be at the top and bottom of the files you produced before the PC reset.

Good hunting...

Matt_Sharkey

Re: G Code

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Slic3r drops your configurations in the users roaming folder. An example address as follows:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r
Just replace "Matt" with your login name.

The problem with storing your configs in that location is that most people don't bother backing up the AppData folder as it tends to get very large with various programs storing their caches there. If you are able to get back to your former user's folder you can simply navigate to that location and find the old configs. *protip* the AppData folder is "hidden" so you will have to be able to view hidden folders if you navigate there manually.