Maximum Clearance Height for latest MakerGear M2 in S3d

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Askoyyae

Maximum Clearance Height for latest MakerGear M2 in S3d

Post by Askoyyae » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Hello, I am a young 3D printer enthusiast, and this September, My place of education received a MakerGear M2 which I picked out. I am pretty knowledge able, but I was wonder what value I set for the maximum clearance height for sequential printing in S3d for the latest version of the M2, and any other advice you would like to give about sequential printing and sequential printing with the M2.

zemlin

Re: Maximum Clearance Height for latest MakerGear M2 in S3d

Post by zemlin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:13 pm

I have never done any sequential printing, but on my machine (Rev E), I have 5-5.5mm between the top of the build and the hardware hanging from the X-axis gantry.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:32 pm

Askoyyae wrote:the maximum clearance height for sequential printing
Unfortunately, gantry-style printers like the M2 don't have enough vertical clearance to make automatic sequential printing work well. In addition, the lower fan on the M2's extruder will whack anything that extends more than a few millimeters above the nozzle.

You can do manual sequential printing for short objects by manually arranging the parts on the platform, lying to the slicing program that there's plenty of vertical clearance, then previewing the actual layers to be absolutely certain there's no possible collision.

Like this:
https://softsolder.com/2015/12/28/slic3 ... -printing/
https://softsolder.com/2016/09/03/miniblind-cord-caps/

Probably not what you were looking for, but it'll suffice for some parts ...

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:31 pm

I would do what Ed did. the modern revisions have reduced the clearance height to pretty much 10mm or less. Previous versions had a bit more room.

With this discussion opened, is there any chance that we could get a specialty hot end barrel that is extra long. like 5cm long? this way we can utilize sequential printing up to 50mm high. I know that I would buy an extended barrel right now if I had the option.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:47 pm

What is the possible use-case for that?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:08 am

insta wrote:What is the possible use-case for that?
Doing them one-at-a-time eliminates zits caused by the extruder leaving one object to start another: each part gets a smooth outside surface. For things made from several parts, every part has the best finish you can get from of a consumer-grade 3D printer and they all come off the platform at once.

Most of the stuff I build has only one part, though, so I wouldn't pay too much for more clearance ...

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:23 am

There have been more than a few prints that had many small parts that I wanted:

A) to print in one job for less intervention time
B) improve small parts quality.

On the V3b, there was about 5mm more clearance in the z-direction which enabled me to take care of a lot of small parts projects, the V4 however is just too short on the clearance.

Here is an example of where sequential printing would be favored:
PLATE_LEG_SECTION_preview_featured.jpg
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:48087

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:44 pm

That print looks like it can be done just fine. Not sure how tall your shorter objects are ? Put the three tallest objects up front and set the order they print in so the plate prints forward objects last.