If speed were adjustable by factors other than layer

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Calpoog

If speed were adjustable by factors other than layer

Post by Calpoog » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:25 am

I was thinking about this today (and I'm not sure of the possibility of something like a plugin for S3D or another slicer), but I would love for speed to be adjustable by a factor other than layer. For instance: change in drawing angle. It's frustrating sometimes to sacrifice time for quality of corners when the majority of an object can be printed super fast (lines or nice radii). Right now there's a decision to be made (I have dampers coming in, but I have read that they do not fully eliminate the problem) between not having bulging corners and saving in most cases greater than 60% printing time. As a developer I feel like it should be possible (and as someone unfamiliar with how a slicer goes about doing it's work I feel I'm probably way underestimated the problem ;) )

In my mind it works like this (perhaps it could be a post-slicer application): The gcode is read and at each change of position within a layer, the angle between two lines (the new point/the last point and the last point/the point before that) is determined. If it meets some threshold, insert a gcode command before to slow the speed and reduce extrusion multiplier (as that seems to also be part of the issue, more extrusion in the same space when it comes to corners).

Feasible? Thoughts? I could be way off base!

insta

Re: If speed were adjustable by factors other than layer

Post by insta » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:07 am

The firmware does this already -- its acceleration. Lower your acceleration to 400mm/s^2, and up your print speed to 120mm/sec.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Calpoog

Post by Calpoog » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am

Really? I've tried lowering the default acceleration and that doesn't seem to change much. I had it at 600 and was only printing at 80mm/sec and still got significant ringing at corners.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:32 am

Go lower on the accel and faster on the travel speed. Go to an extreme if you want (100 accel, 200 print speed) and see how it looks.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:26 pm

if you are concerned about bulgy corners, adding a small round to each corner on the xy plane helps. The printer will try its damnedest to get a sharp corner, but plastic doesn't play well. If the printer takes each corner as a round, it's a lot more workable.

Calpoog

Post by Calpoog » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:28 am

Yea I've tried that as a workaround. It helps some. The most helpful is just slowing the print, which is something I'm not always willing to sacrifice to help the corners. Also there's the unfortunate side effect of if I didn't design it, I don't have a choice in the matter :lol: