Prints separating at joints...

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Rhragnarok

Prints separating at joints...

Post by Rhragnarok » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:29 am

Hey everbody!! I am having a problem. Hopefully someone has some ideas.

I use a MakerGear M2. And most prints I am having great success. But with this new print, I am having an issue where at certain parts of my model it's separating and pulling up on corners. You can see it pretty clearly in this image. This print is about 12 cm wide and about 3 cm tall.

I am printing with ABS Plastic and the temp is 230 and 65.

Seems like no matter what I do it splits someplace during the print. Its clearly not sticking together well enough...but I dont know how to make it stick better as it goes. I can get it to stick to the bed just fine.

Thoughts?

Jules

Re: Prints separating at joints...

Post by Jules » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:38 am

ABS tends to crack and split on taller prints because of shrinkage when it cools, and it gets worse the taller the object is.....you can try increasing your temperature a little, increase the bed temp, increase the infill, but the best thing you can do is put an enclosure of some kind around it. (Cardboard box would work to keep the heat in.)

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:49 pm

I use Hatchbox ABS and print at 245C. I use a PEI bed and the bed temp is 100C. I haven't had any splitting issues for quite some time, and have built some pretty hefty parts.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:59 pm

yes abs will always warp. your not going to stop that and splitting can be a problem depending on the shape of the part but the splitting can be reduced. of course the drawback there is it just causes more internal stress of the part causing it to warp at the bed level alot more. this is all one reason using abs has declined in favor of petg. to reduce the splitting, as theses guys said you need to increase your temp so it layer bonds better. abs prints usually in a range of 245-265. higher the temp the better the bond. your bed temp is very low for abs as well. usually a range of 95-110 is required for abs.