Printer interface software

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
MagicEngineer

Printer interface software

Post by MagicEngineer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:38 am

I am currently using Simplify 3D. I am very happy with it, but It will not run on my windows tablet. All I want to be able to do with the tablet is start prints from the SD card like the lcd screen mods. Is there a small app that can do that?

Bratag

Re: Printer interface software

Post by Bratag » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:43 am

Sounds like Octoprint might be what you are looking for.

ksevcik

Post by ksevcik » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:40 pm

If all you want to do is start prints that are already on the SD card, you could try Pronterface. You wouldn't need the slic3r integration, you'd just use the printer interface to jog the printer and start an SD card print.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:49 pm

im not aware of anything that runs on a tablet. you would need an lcd interface for the printer then you dont need anything OR as bratag mentioned, if you have the printer running on a pi with octoprint then there is a web interface you can use from the tablet to control the printer.

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:15 pm

MagicEngineer wrote:[...]All I want to be able to do with the tablet is start prints from the SD card like the lcd screen mods. Is there a small app that can do that?
It's been a while for my memory but I'm pretty sure you can start a print from gcode on the SD card using the Quick Start app. I'm not sure if you'd have to stay connected to the printer though.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:33 pm

Thanks all. Pronterface looked exactly like what I need, but it turns out that the problem is that the Rambo driver won't work on a windows 8 tablet for some reason. So i guess I will have to fork ourt the money for a lcd controller.
Last edited by MagicEngineer on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:49 pm

MagicEngineer wrote:fork ourt the money for a lcd controller.
For less money and more usability, as suggested earlier: bolt a Raspberry Pi 3 to the printer, set up Octoprint on it, run the web interface from an ordinary browser in the tablet, and move on.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:53 pm

X2

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:33 am

ednisley wrote: For less money and more usability, as suggested earlier: bolt a Raspberry Pi 3 to the printer, set up Octoprint on it, run the web interface from an ordinary browser in the tablet, and move on.
The only reason I wanted to use the tablet, is because I have it and am not using it for anything else. If I have to spend money on it, I would rather just use the lcd interface. I am about to get a second printer, and I anticipate getting a third by the middle of next year. My real plan was to have one controller that I can move around to each printer as needed. It might be best to just use a laptop.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:01 am

I dont understand. You would spend $100 on an lcd but not $30 on a pi? With multiple printers you need a computer of some sort for each of them. Each printer should be on a dedicated pi then access and control them with your tablet, pc or laptop