Octoprint

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
KeithA

Octoprint

Post by KeithA » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Is anybody using Octoprint? If so what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks

jsc

Re: Octoprint

Post by jsc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:06 am

Friend of mine uses/used it. Good is that it frees up your computer, and you can access it remotely and watch the percentage progress from a laptop or iPad. You don't have to worry about your print pausing when you do something that causes an external drive to spin up. Downside is that you do have to upload your gcode with a web browser, which is one extra step in the workflow. Since I have my printer next to my computer anyway, where I can watch the first layers going down, I haven't bothered to try it for myself yet.

Lately, I've been doing more SD card prints, especially if I want to ensure I don't get a pause from disk spinup. And several times I've had Simplify3D (and other hosts) miss a response, and then the print hangs until you force continue or it times out, generally leaving an ugly melted spot somewhere.

roberts

Post by roberts » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 pm

KeithA wrote:Is anybody using Octoprint? If so what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks

This sounds let a fun project to mess with. Cheap enough, I think maybe I'll play with this over the weekend. If I do, I'll report back on how it went.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:44 pm

roberts wrote:
KeithA wrote:Is anybody using Octoprint? If so what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks

This sounds let a fun project to mess with. Cheap enough, I think maybe I'll play with this over the weekend. If I do, I'll report back on how it went.
I think I may do the same. I have a raspberry pi lying around collecting dust. Does anybody know if you need a specific camera. I am not very familiar with Linux.

Thanks

sprior

Post by sprior » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:57 am

I've been using it, seems to work pretty well though sometimes it's a little laggy.

I actually like the fact that you submit the files to print via the web interface - I slice the files on my main laptop, but I wouldn't want to keep my laptop tethered to the printer waiting for a print, so OctoPrint lets me upload it to print and then do something else while I'm waiting.

roberts

Post by roberts » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:59 am

Raspberry Pi kit came in yesterday, go Amazon Prime! Planning some weekend Pi activity with it and the M2

sprior

Post by sprior » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:02 pm

One thing I just found out that many seem not to be away of is that the Raspberry Pi camera comes as a fixed focus which doesn't focus close enough if you're planning to mount it to the M2, but the lens does actually screw adjust, they just glued it in place and with a little force (some say from a pencil eraser) you can break the glue and adjust the lens to focus close enough. I'm still a little concerned that the Pi camera's ribbon cable is too short and too inflexible to make mounting easy, but I'll see this weekend.